• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

90 Gallon Oceanic

Here is the next project waiting in the wings- a 90 gallon reef ready Oceanic . This is my first reef ready tank so I am quite excited. We are going to condense the 46 gallon and 16 gallon tanks into the 90. It doesn't have the "status" in my head of a 120 gallon like we had wanted, but the only difference in the dimensions is the width and I can live with that.

Took advantage of the Allquatics live rock sale and bought 80 lbs. One nice touch was the addition of heat packs. I was wondering why the newspaper covering the rock was surprisingly warm when I got home, especially after driving for over an hour in 30 degree weather .

The lighting consists of 2 x 250w 14k and 4 65w power compacts. This is more light than I ever imagined having over any of my tanks, but my girlfriend found it used for a great price.

Although I am not looking forward to the stress of transferring all the inhabitants over to their new home it will give me the chance to dip all the rock in the 46 and FINALLY (hopefully) kill the flatworms that have been plaguing me since the tank has been set up.

Now all I have to do is wait several weeks for the live rock to cure. Speaking of which, the smell forced my girlfriend to stock up on Yankee candle tarts. The house has never smelled better!

Dec11009.jpg

Dec11011.jpg

I have to figure out a way to hide the fixture. I really wish I had taken wood shop a bit more seriously than I did!

Dec11013.jpg

A Pandoras box of smell- Do Not Open Until AFTER Christmas :p

Nice tank Eric :) good luck with it, now that you have the MH's you can really join us stick heads :p

So it's been 4 days since you took the pic's is the tank filled yet???

Just think in about 6 months or less you'll want bigger :p ;D

It's slooowly coming along. I bought a 15 gallon drilled that was used as a display refugium. I was going to use it as a display refugium as well, but seeing what great shape it was in, I decide to remove the lone baffle and make it more of a 15 gallon plumbed to a 90. I plan on keeping mostly gobies and other small critters in it. I plan on splitting the return to feed the 15 and have it gravity feed back to the 90's sump. It will be lit with 65w of power compact.

Here is the refugium before we modded it:
SumpandDisplay008.jpg

Here it is after removing the baffle and painting the back black:
90gallon005.jpg

and next to the 90:
90gallon007.jpg

I did a tank to tank transfer about 3 months ago. It wasn't so bad. I upgraded from a 29 gallon w/ a 10 gallon fuge to a 70 gallon w/ a 30 gallon fuge. I used all existing 40 LBS of LR from the old tank and some LS from the fuge. My new tank went through a small cycle for a week. I added all the old corals and a Clown in a week to the new tank...

Here's a long overdue update. After way too many trips to Lowes the big move is finally over. I combined the 46 gallon bowfront and 16 gallon bowfront without as much drama as I had anticipated. The hardest part was plumbing the 15 to the 90. I forgot I had to plumb AROUND the stand :-X

I'm still trying to play with the white balance on my cheapo camera to get a true representation of how the tank actually looks.

90andMinibowFeb11026.jpg

90andMinibowFeb11027.jpg

90andMinibowFeb11028.jpg

90andMinibowFeb11034.jpg

90andMinibowFeb11038.jpg

90andMinibowFeb11041.jpg

Thanks! Well, to be honest it's more of a 15 gallon hooked up to a 90. My girlfriend decided to yank the divider out that would have made it a fuge. Even though the water level doesn't reach the top of the tank, it will still act as a "refuge" for the smaller critters I would like to keep.

Right now there are 7 sexy shrimp and a trimma goby hanging upside down in the tank.

here is how I plumbed it to the 90:
90gallonsump019.jpg

Thanks. I really do need more sps in there. So far the frags I got from you have shown some decent growth so I think I can handle a few more :D Just remember what Jessica said "NO more frags!!" So if you have any colonies available...... ;D

LOL.... I know the feeling hearing the word NO I want Twins 180

I do have a couple colonys I need to get rid off.... ::)

LOL... eric remember the white urchin I have...he used to pick up things all the time like snails, frags and even a clam. He'd walk around the tank with them on it's back. But after the clam, he now lives in the sump :)

It's been a month since my last update. A couple of changes since the last photos were taken. I added a pair of Tune 6055's and changed out the Ushios for a pair of Phoenix 250w 14k bulbs. The Ushios were too yellow for my tastes.

March102008049.jpg

March102008051.jpg

March102008054.jpg

March102008057.jpg

March102008058.jpg

March102008062.jpg

Very Nice Tanks Eric!!!

I have a 3" Fighting Conch in my 135 with a frag sized Kenya Tree attached to its rear...Really funny looking...I'm waiting to see if the coral falls off or is damaged when the conch goes under the sand bed. Neither has happened yet and it has been about 2 weeks since I first noticed this.

Dom

Yeah, with a Tuxedo urchin you started playing "Predict what he'll attach next." For some reason one of my 2 anemone crabs died. Now one of his claws has made its way to the urchins back ;D