• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

A little discouraged

Been way too busy and haven't kept on top of things. Noticed that I had stressed acros. Some worse than others. Cyno bloom last couple of weeks. Been feeding a tad too much - trying to keep new fish and old fish happy . Alk went down to 9. Phos was at .02 usually at zero. Been doing 50 gal water changes (last sat and today). I'm hoping I can save my corals. Of course things were growing like crazy. And I just got a nice frag of that strawberry acro from Tropaquarium. We shall see.... Also I just put my big tunze back in. I don't think the gyre 130 is enough. Think it contributed to cyno. Anyway flow is now much stronger. Fingers crossed. Ahhhhh

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Chris, your "bad" numbers are "good" numbers to some of use.

Alk down to 9......my alk is between 7 and 8 (that's what I target)

Phosphate up to 0.02. .......my phosphate is at 0.05.....and you actually don't want zero.

Now buck up and enjoy what's left of Valentine's Day! :love_heart:

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't worry about those numbers. When I moved my tank over to the new cube this summer I had a massive po4 spike. I was up to 0.35. My growth slowed and lost a lot of colors and a few corals died. I now have it stead at around 0.05 and everything is happy again. In fact I have found over the years that 0.02/0.05 is a sweet spot for my tank. Any lower and I loos color also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So my alk crashed. The circulating pump had gotten something in it. Stopped circulating the water. Dropped down to 5 dkh. I dosed and fixed the pump. I hope the acros make it. I check my alk all the time but ran out a couple of days ago - I ordered new reagent but it hasn't gotten here ( for Hanna meter) Thus I wasn't watching. I back to using the older titration stuff. I got dkh up to 9.5 again. I'll be monitoring. But I realized I used up my salt. Need to get to trop tomm. I use the tropic Marin pro reef. They usually have on bucket lying around. Hope so. My water is a tad low 1.025. This is not like me. I always have extra everything. Ahh too busy with work/ kids

So let me start this off by saying I'm not doing anything. Last night I used baking soda to raise alk. Great. I fixed the reactor and increased the alk using baking soda. Fine. used the Red Sea kit I hate titration and so much love my Hanna meter more but I had run out of test liquid. So I went up to perth Amboy to get taxes done and while the wife sat waiting I ran over to aquatic obsessions and (thank goodness it was in stock) picked up my test stuff and some salt etc. great store! Get home check alk and its 12dkh.
I had left reactor on
So I shut down reactor. Did water change. Then read. The wisdom Farley gave to a guy in my spot was 'leave it alone'. Take reactor off line and monitor. So I refilled it and turned it off.
I have had such great growth and stability. Now I see some of my best corals browning and dying. My fault. Should have made sure I had test stuff. It's Murphy's law. When a thing is gonna screw up then almost assuredly it will Domino!
Not sure what will be left. I couldn't do another water change cause I used all my rodi up. Leave it alone.
You know it feels like this happened so fast and the 'fix' will take weeks and months to apply. That includes seeing what dies and what makes it through.
So I'm beginning to think about dosing. But for right now.....I'm doing nothing.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Let us know if you need anything. I have some extra frags kicking around too.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Sorry to hear Chris. Agreed that best to leave things alone and let them fall in line naturally. Keep testing.

I did a water change when I got home. I'll test later. Thanks for the replies. When I get back to normal I'll drop over. Get it back to stable. I'm ordering more reagent for my meter. Lots more. Oh well. I hope some oft older colonies survive.....

So alk is stable around 91/2. Some coral are defiantly beaten up. You can see the tissue damage. Others look ok but we shall see. I've been testing am/pm Thanks for all the feedback. I'll say this testing alkalinity every day is important. And making sure your calcium reactor is working properly too! :)