• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

AC Jr in Basement

arvin

NJRC Member
I currently have my AC Jr in my basement. Now that I have MH lights, I am thinking of moving DC8 by the display tank so I can connect the MH. I am planning to leave the controller in the basement and run the DC8 using the telephone cable from the basement to the display tank.

a) I want to be able to use the feed option in the controller from the display tank. Is there anyway I can trigger the feed option remotely? One another option is to move the controller also by the display tank. In which case, I have to hook up the PH controller and temperature controller from the display tank, which I would like to avoid.

b) To hook up the remaining components in the basement to the AC jr, either I have to get the X10 adapter or I have to get a DC4. Can someone help be decide which is better?

Thanks in Advance!

Dont use the x10 boxes they are useless any interference and they dont work hard wire the dc4 to the basement is your best option

Or you could pick up a DC4HD (heavy duty) 4 channel controller and put that near the tank for the lights and keep the 8 channel in the basement. I guess it really comes down to what you are presently using the DC8 for.

What do you currently have plugged into the DC8 in the basement?

Carlo

i have the aqua III in my basement and the dc8s and dc4hd upstairs and dc8 downstairs.. for feeding i just goto my laptop and hit feed..

arvin

NJRC Member
billyr98 said:
i have the aqua III in my basement and the dc8s and dc4hd upstairs and dc8 downstairs.. for feeding i just goto my laptop and hit feed..

Thats what I want to do ultimately. But not yet...

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I disagree with the X10 comment. I use a mixture of DC8's and X10's and have never had a problem with either of them. The X10's are good for different types of applications than the DC4/DC8. I use them to turn remote heaters on and off. For my CO2 Solenoid and cooling fans. They work well for things that are off on their own, where using a DC4/DC8 isn't convenient or efficient. I've never had a minutes trouble with them.

Keep in mind, though, they are no good for running MHs or Ice Cap type ballasts. Those need to go on DC4 Heavy Duty or DC8.

but john, you do have a newer home and x10 does run on wires. some older homes can just never get it to work correctly.. i ran them fine for a while, till i changed from magnetic ballast to electronic ballast.. it just killed the entire circuit.. but if it works for your house, they are a great alternative!! i loved them!

arvin

NJRC Member
Carlo said:
What do you currently have plugged into the DC8 in the basement?

To tell you the truth, it is underutilized. I have the following

Line1: 2 MH lamps + 2 canopy fans (tank)
Line2: 1 vho acitinic (tank)
Line3: 4 powerheads (tank)
Line4: 2 heaters (basement)
Line5: 2 fans on the sump (basement)
Line6: 1 CA reactor (not hooked up yet - in the basement)
Line7: 1 fuge lamp (basement)

That is why I want to get an X10 so I can use up all of DC8.

arvin

NJRC Member
billyr98 said:
but john, you do have a newer home and x10 does run on wires. some older homes can just never get it to work correctly.. i ran them fine for a while, till i changed from magnetic ballast to electronic ballast.. it just killed the entire circuit.. but if it works for your house, they are a great alternative!! i loved them!

Can you tell me what you meant by 'killing the entire circuit'? I am trying to think what could be at risk here.

I do use X10 at home. I have the basement pump hooked up in an X10 control module and use a keychain remote to switch the pump on/off from upstairs. Does this mean I wont have any problems using X10 at my home, or are you saying it may not be reliable enough?

well i had x10 doing my downlights and outside flood lights.. but as soon as I added my metal halides is didn't let me control any other x10s under my tank.. my other x10 stuff still worked.. i have some parts if you wanna try it before wasting cash.. let me know i will look around and gather some up...

arvin

NJRC Member
I have a bunch of control modules with me. I have the control interface that I bought years ago from x10.com. I am not sure if I can use that control interface with AC Jr. I will give it a shot and let you know.

if its the module with the phone jack, it works perfect with the JR, i had it running.. till i went with the electronic ballast :( i had no problem with the icecap 660, only metal halide electronic ballast..

Well I see it as.... The AC Jr stays in the basement. A new DC is at the tank. You need to run a wire anyway to connect the Jr to the DC. Use cat 5 cable (4 pair). 2 pair will be to connect the Jr to the DC. You can now wire the other 2 pair to an IO breakout box (I DIY'd mine). You can wire a 12volt toggle switch at the tank. You can address the switch as "If Switch1 CLOSED Then.......".