• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acan question

What would cause your acans to go from growing being full and plump to shriveling up and not dying but not being plump anymore and not growing. There litteraly flat on the rocks now.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How long have you had it and where is it in relationship to light and flow?

Have you changed anything….lights, salt, dosing, reactors?

What do you do to dose and what are you alk, calc and mag numbers?

What’s the frequency of water changes and volume? What is your nitrate looking like?

And finally, how often do you feed them?

I havent changed much lately
Mag 1470
Alk 8.5
Cal 480
sal 1.028

Fish
Yellow tank
File fish
malanarus
2 snowflake clowns

Nothing else has changed I stopped dosing about 3-4 weeks ago as my alk was `11 and cal was off the charts hgh
They are located in the sand

Come to think of it would aptasia x have an effect on them? i had an outbreak of aptasia I mean real bad 100's i used the aptasia x on them all and they have not come back. Also this explains the file fish cause I wouldnt put something that ugly in my tank on purpose lol.

File Fish have been know to start picking at softer fleshed corals once there is not aptasia for them to eat.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
First off, I thought filefish were iffy when it came to coral.

Come to think of it would aptasia x have an effect on them? i had an outbreak of aptasia I mean real bad 100's i used the aptasia x on them all and they have not come back.

You might be onto something here.....either all that aptasia X and/or all that death of the little devils.

I'd do a relatively large water change....in the 30% range or higher.

Really?? that little F**ker. lol His ugly *** needs to go anyway as my aptasia is gone. I wonder if its the same time period that they shriveled up. There not dead aas they have color but there not growing and are not like they were

I have experienced the same symptoms with aptesia X and Acans. Do a water change and/ or run carbon at a higher dosage for a week. . If i am not mistaken Aptesia X can increase alk if used in large amounts also.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
So you have had High alk and calc, a fish that can be not fully reef safe and hit the tank with a ton of aipstia x. You can get your params in order and wait to see if they improve. If they do not, then I think you found your culprit in the filefish.

Thats what im doing the old wait and see approach. I gotta think by now the aptasia x is out of the system. The parmaeters have been solid now for about 10 days. Im back on r/o water and weekly water changes. If in a week everything is still solid I will go purchase a frag and see what happens

Having a predominantly SPS tank, with high flow, acans were never plump for me. Always tightly bodied. Lower light and lower flow will allow them to open more

I just switched to led's on friday and everything in the tank has responded better than expected so I thinkI will try some Acans again in a few weeks