• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acclimating Mollies

Has anyone tried and had success acclimating mollies to saltwater? I thought about trying some in the sump to eat up whatever is growing in it, and see if they breed.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I did this years ago with sailfin mollies. I did it fairly quick, don't yell at me, I just dripped the saltwater for a few hours and tossed them into my DT. They did eat tons of algae. The female gave birth and my fish ate all the babies then turned on the parents.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I want one for my tank, Mark was it the Black Mollies?

No, I used the silver sailfin mollies. They are bigger than the normal mollies but either should work. I assumed being bigger no issues but was wrong.

I also tried this out before with two black sailfins (male/female) by increasing the salinity in a 5 gallon tank to over the course a week. They seemed fine in full salt for a couple weeks but my clown (a black ocellaris by the name of Blackjack that has helped a lot of suitors move on the the ocean in the sky) beat them up to death. They didn't seem too interested in algea but that might have been because of the clown.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Had 2 sailfins in my main to help combat an algae takeover.
They ate zero algae.

radiata

NJRC Member
FWIW, ORA breeds saltwater mollies. I got some silver ones two weeks ago, and was told they were expecting the gold ones in. I think they were $10@. The store is Ely's in Florham Park. (Ely's Tropical Fish) Just noticed on the page that you now need to call them before going there.

How many would be able to fit in a 6g ref chamber, Eventually I do want to make this bigger as to add other macros and maybe a mantis shrimp, but what would be a good start for testing purposes?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
How many would be able to fit in a 6g ref chamber, Eventually I do want to make this bigger as to add other macros and maybe a mantis shrimp, but what would be a good start for testing purposes?

No more than 3 in my opinion.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Yeah I had two in my old frag tank.
I just dropped them in since I read some where that in nature they go from fresh to salt very fast. I dropped them in no acclimation. They didn’t eat much algae but they looked really nice so I left them in the tank.

Looks like some sand needs to get added to the refugium lol. I might just wait till I build a bigger acrylic sump before trying this out to give the fry a shot at living.