• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acclimating regal angel

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hey @Humblefish

Question. I’m in the process of acclimating a regal angel. She has been in a 55 gallon qt since Thursday.

Her tank mates are a blonde naso and Achilles.

As of today she has not eaten and I’ve tried clams , live brine and black worms and no interest.

How long can they go without eating before I should stop holding out hope ?

Hey @Humblefish

Question. I’m in the process of acclimating a regal angel. She has been in a 55 gallon qt since Thursday.

Her tank mates are a blonde naso and Achilles.

As of today she has not eaten and I’ve tried clams , live brine and black worms and no interest.

How long can they go without eating before I should stop holding out hope ?
A few days isn't something to be worried about and its not uncommon for it to take up to 2 or 3 weeks. It does get nerve racking though the longer it drags out since there are always those that never eat. How big is it? Showing any interest in food? Might try picking up some Mastic and putting it on some rock. It have one in QT that went right for mastic the first day. From there I started mixing in pellets and got it switched over to them.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
The fish is about 4-5 inches. So medium to large.

It s showing no interest in food.
I do have mastick. So maybe I will give that a try

So heart breaking to see it ignoring live food

I would try some pellets and if you have some live rock with sponge throw it in there to graze. I've had good luck with the Panta rhei pellets but they aren't readily available. Was it eating before you got it?

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
No. Pretty much got him straight out of a bag. Didn’t want to do a double acclimation.

I’ve tried everything in my arsenal to date. No response. At least it’s fat so it can survive a little while without food

Last edited:

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
As mentioned above, it can sometimes take 2-3 weeks for a new fish to start eating.

Are the blackworms you are offering live?

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Yes. No response yet. At all. Very vexing.

Tried live black worms and brine

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Masstick I did try. San Fran brand I tried too

Going to just give him time and see. I’ve exhausted all the foods I have. So All I can do is keep feeding.

Fingers crossed

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I will try anything at this point !!!!

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Very active fish and swims in between the tangs. So it’d not getting bullied. Very disappointing