• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Achilles...should i or shouldnt i?

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I've always wanted an Achilles, and now I have a chance to get one. medium size 3-4" in size. anyone have one? is it really that difficult? only other tang is my gem.

Is this local or from an online vendor? If you see it eating, I’m sure it’ll do fine. Just gotta watch out for aggression and if it get big...

Reactions: DEL

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Is this local or from an online vendor? If you see it eating, I’m sure it’ll do fine. Just gotta watch out for aggression and if it get big...
online, but I've ordered from them before so I know they are good.

eholceker

NJRC Member
They don't handle parasites well and your basically going to have to QT everything wet. Personally would pass.

Have heard they are ich prone and tough to care for , also need alot of real estate . But that said it is my favorite tang so I would go for it if system could support it . best of luck with decision,.

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
That's my dream fish for down the line when my system matures. I am planning on having fresh macroalgae to help it assimilate. Let us know how it goes.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
yooo!!!!! where you been bro ???
Boat time Del, been fishing, working deck on a buddies charter boat, and also working on my boat. I blew a driveshaft and gear in one of my engines and have been working on it whenever I’m not working.
that doesn’t mean you can stop by and have a beer.

When I had my first saltwater tank around 4 years ago, it was a 105 display I really wanted this fish but I had none experience and didn’t wanted to kill the fish. So never got it. And was good because I could not keep the system going for more than 4 months because of each

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Del. Qt’ing the Achilles. Is not the major issue. It’s the rest of the fish. Hence why they tend to be the last thing. If you look at the Achilles the wrong way it will get a spot. You have to make sure the tank is clear and I think a strong uv to be successful with this fish.
Good luck !!!

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Del. Qt’ing the Achilles. Is not the major issue. It’s the rest of the fish. Hence why they tend to be the last thing. If you look at the Achilles the wrong way it will get a spot. You have to make sure the tank is clear and I think a strong uv to be successful with this fish.
Good luck !!!
thanks. been running a 57w Aqua UV for months now. you know I love a challenge hahahaha