• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acrylic/plexiglass glue

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Weld-on #3, #4 , #16 or #33 depending on your needs. 3 & 4 are like water and it enters the seam via capillary action and 16 & 33 are much thicker. Go on their site and it explains when to use each.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
What's the best for 'glueing' acrylic together- is gorilla glue ok
i just built a sump not long ago your best bet is to get some good clamps a small syringe use weld on 4 ( pretty hard to find ) let them cure for about 24 hours roughly then get some weld on 16 and use it as a " calk " run a thin beed down the seems to get a full water tight fuse.

running weld on 4 will never fill you a perfect water seal because you would need to cut the plexiglass with a super fine teeth blade then sand the edges with 220 grid than..... use a torch to make that edge smooth as a babies butt... way harder then you think ive been messing with plexiglass for like 3 years now run the weld on 4 then the 16 itll save you time and a headache

i got my supplies here they sell to public " both of these are extremely flammable chemicals
give them a call all the other places treat this stuff like your trying to buy explosives lol

I typically use IPS weld-on #3 and/or #16. I usually stick with just 16 or mix it with the 3 if I need it to be less viscous. 3 sets quick as hell so you have be fast. I personally get tubes if I can find them as opposed to the cans and syringe.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I did a test today with superglue- gel seemed to set quicker, regular set fine too- I wouldn't use it where a seal is needed, but it seemed like it would be fine to set pieces/sheets initially for a more permanent seal later

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I did a test today with superglue- gel seemed to set quicker, regular set fine too- I wouldn't use it where a seal is needed, but it seemed like it would be fine to set pieces/sheets initially for a more permanent seal later
if your planning to add water and make something stable thats not gonna hold i tried it all.. itll just ruin the seal surface by eating up the plexi creating a rough surface. youll just ruin good plexiglass honestly and there is literally no silicone that you can use on plexiglass to actually hold a water tight box, itll stick to the plexiglass once you add water itll peal off like a banana peal tried that too with like 10 silicones lol

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I've built several in-tank sumps without using glue, just silicone and all were/are fine- not 100% waterproof but good enough- this time I'll be using both- weld-on 13 and silicone

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I've built several in-tank sumps without using glue, just silicone and all were/are fine- not 100% waterproof but good enough- this time I'll be using both- weld-on 13 and silicone
true its definitely possible i tend now to risk it specially when it comes to water lol