• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Add phosphate E to ATO

I wander if it’s possible to add phosphate E to my 4 gallons ATO. This container last about a week so I can adjust accordingly.
Does anyone know if this would be save?

My water comes with 00 tda from the RODI system, so I think it would not bind as they water that come it’s 00 tda

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I don’t think it’s a good idea. Two completely different requirements here. You need top off water at a rate that matches evaporation. You need phosphateE a rate that matches your overage to your daily target number.

eholceker

NJRC Member
No. You should drip it or dose it into a filter sock. The particles it will create are known to irritate the gills of fish.

D

Deleted member 27248

I wander if it’s possible to add phosphate E to my 4 gallons ATO. This container last about a week so I can adjust accordingly.
Does anyone know if this would be save?

My water comes with 00 tda from the RODI system, so I think it would not bind as they water that come it’s 00 tda
You don’t have a refugium?

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Thanks Dave!!
Do you dose phosphate E as well? If you do, are you doing it every day or weekly as I’m doing it?

Not at the moment, but I was for some time. It’s a very effective, inexpensive, and easy way to reduce phosphates bound to your reef. It can also be dangerous to your reef if you don’t make a plan. You can easily remove too much and cause deaths (don’t ask me how I know).

I’m still set up to dose, but it’s on standby. I dose directly into my skimmer body. IMO it’s much easier than dripping into a sock, and just as safe. Make sure to figure out your dosing, and have your dosing set to not dose when the skimmer is not running. There is more to it than that, and I’d be happy to discuss my experience with it if you’re interested.

Last few months I’ve been dosing phosphates to get them back up. I’m sure in another few months I’ll have enough locked in my rock that my dosing will go down. Maybe, depends what happens with the changes I’m about to make.

Lol….The one thing that is certain is our micro-environment reefs change fast, and if you’re not paying attn you may be too late to catch a problem.

Last edited:
Not at the moment, but I was for some time. It’s a very effective, inexpensive, and easy way to reduce phosphates bound to your reef. It can also be dangerous to your reef if you don’t make a plan. You can easily remove too much and cause deaths (don’t ask me how I know).

I’m still set up to dose, but it’s on standby. I dose directly into my skimmer body. IMO it’s much easier than dripping into a sock, and just as safe. Make sure to figure out your dosing, and have your dosing set to not dose when the skimmer is not running. There is more to it than that, and I’d be happy to discuss my experience with it if you’re interested.

Last few months I’ve been dosing phosphates to get them back up. I’m sure in another few months I’ll have enough locked in my rock that my dosing will go down. Maybe, depends what happens with the changes I’m about to make.

Lol….The one thing that is certain is our micro-environment reefs change fast, and if you’re not paying attn you maybe too late to catch a problem.

That’s for sure!! ;)
Just let me know if you want me to pm you my phone number or how you feel comfortable!
Thanks