• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Adding a hitch to a SUV?

My lease just ended this month and I now have a 2008 Mercury Mariner, however it doesn't have a hitch. While I'm not dragging anything around I do desperately want to be able to put my bike on the back so I can go biking with my little girl (it's a small suv and I'll never fit the bike and her trailer, let alone my husbands bike too, inside).

I found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trai...002QQitemZ120119914971QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I think the dealer wants some obscene amount of money to put a hitch on it, has anyone ever added anything like on the ebay link? Think it could be done w/o messing up my new truck and safely so it can hold a couple bikes?

Thanks!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Theres a place on Shrewsbury Ave that carries them in stock. Can't remember the name off the top of my head. No it wont mess up your truck. Theres already holes in your frame to accept this.

BE CAREFUL! The aftermarket ones offen make you remove your spare tire on a SUV. If you get the ones from the dealers you can keep your spare. Just make sure and ask the question. I just installed mine on a Acura SUV and the aftermarket ones made you remove it so I got the one from Acura after searching for a dealer that would sell it at a good price. (note: each dealer will sell at a different price. Call around and they will even ship) Mine came from Nebraska or something like that but I just found a great price online and installed it myself. I can help with the install if you want. All you need is simple tools and a helping hand.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sam. This one looks like it bolts to the back of the frame away from the spare. But still depends on where her crank down for the spare is.

mikem said:
Sam. This one looks like it bolts to the back of the frame away from the spare. But still depends on where her crank down for the spare is.

That is the problem with the one that I wanted to order. It was much cheaper and it also bolted to the frame BUT it was just shaped right that it would have been in the way of the spare. I think that is becuase they prodce these for multiple cars so they don't have to make it perfect.