• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Adding sand into reef advice needed

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Hey y’all has anyone done this without many issues tanks about 2 years old had been having phosphate issues which caused some weird algae well i finally got it some what under control but during the cleaning process i took out a lot of my sand bed and want to get back to 2-3 inch depth

my sand is the very fine grain bought it in petco it’s s “ live sand “ has the little bags of bacteria or what ever in them too and it’s like water in there aswell I’ve done some reading online people say just pour it into a bucket add some rodi rinse pour rinse pour till it’s semi clean and then add into the reef and you won’t have issues this true?

my fear is it’ll spike a bacteria bloom or some algae bloom any days?

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
So I recently got a wrasse and needed to add more sand whenever I add sand I usually don’t use live sand I go for the dry mix so I don’t get any spikes when I do it I just use my water from a water change to clean the dust off that way I don’t waste any rodi and small increments I do about 5lbs then next week I’ll do another 5 so on

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
So I recently got a wrasse and needed to add more sand whenever I add sand I usually don’t use live sand I go for the dry mix so I don’t get any spikes when I do it I just use my water from a water change to clean the dust off that way I don’t waste any rodi and small increments I do about 5lbs then next week I’ll do another 5 so on
Hmm i like that idea aswell

The live sand from petco isn't live. It's just sand with a quick start type product in it. It's negligible. You can stop worrying about the bacteria aspect of this equation. You can rinse it or not rinse it, in saltwater or freshwater.

when you add it, you can pour it down a pvc pipe with a funnel. Keeps the mess down. I'm slowly removing sand you can have mine !

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
The live sand from petco isn't live. It's just sand with a quick start type product in it. It's negligible. You can stop worrying about the bacteria aspect of this equation. You can rinse it or not rinse it, in saltwater or freshwater.

when you add it, you can pour it down a pvc pipe with a funnel. Keeps the mess down. I'm slowly removing sand you can have mine !
Ha thanks bud i already bought this one will be adding probsbly today

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Agreed with others do a bit at a time, and if you have a pvc tube that reaches the bottom of you tank, pour it down that to keep the sandstorm to a minimum