• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Adventure of my Red Sea Max 250

Well my RSM 250 is up and running well. The first problem I had was the protein skimmer pump. It died within 2 weeks of use. The store I brought it from called RSM and then I called them on a Tuesday and I got it the following Monday.

My second adventure was user error. When I got the pump for the skimmer and attached and put it in the tank a lot of bubbles started coming out of the left water outlet. Boy I panicked and was screaming a few choice words. I took the Skimmer out and discovered that the sponge from the right side had fallen in the compartment and I had put the skimmer right on top of it. (I felt like a big Dummy) :p.

I went to Feng from red sand aquarium and told him about the tank and he told me that is why you do not get an all in one tank. Well I put some sponge filters in the carbon/bioball compartment and that cleans the tank well. If I have anymore major problems with the tank I will drill to holes in the back of the tank and have Feng make me a sump.

Overall I have learned a lot about the tank and I have a lot of corals that are doing great, thanks to Feng’s advice. I brought some moon light LED strips that fit the tank real nice and are beautiful and night.

The one think all owners of the RSM 250 should know is that water level is the key in this tank and you should make sure to adjust the skimmer inlet gate to the recommended water level that you see in the pump window on the left.

hey rich - thanks for sharing. You have to post pictures when you get a chance!

As for the water level - I assume you do not have an auto-top-off set up yet?

In a RSM there is not to many places to put anything. lol The problem is when you clean the protein skimmer or change or clean the pads you have to check to make sure you adjust the skimmer gate so the water is at the 3 line of the window on the left. The water level in the tank is fine but you have to make sure that compartment is at the correct level.

I have been using the extra pads because I keep seeing little sandy looking things in the water and I am not sure if that is normal. I cleaned everything so I think extra sponges will help. Any suggestion will be helpfull. I am not using the bioball or the carbon.

i ended up ditching the sponges that came with the tank all together put some live rock in each pump chamber and then in the chamber just to the right of the skimmer i have purigen and chempure bags then a grate a bunch of cheato with another grate on it

do either of you guys have a problem with micro bubbles?
i seem to get them often...and have tried to get rid of them but no luck so far ..

Yes I get micro bubbles. I am going to try what greybolt suggested and see what happens. I thing it is the sponges giving us all the problems.
Is your water level correct? Turn off the skimmer and see if you still get the bubbles.

Greybolt
I not sure if our RSM250 are built the same. If you are looking at my tank from the front I have on the left, The stronger outlet pump, then the compartment for the biobags and carbon, then the skimmer, then the little compartment for the small sponge and heater and on the far right the small out let pump.

So is this correct
in the chamber on the left between the most powerful pump and the protein skimmer add the Purigen and the chem-pure bags and put the grate on top and then add some cheato and add another grate? Where did you get the other grate and the cheatos?

YEA THEY ARE BUILT THE SAME.. i used egg create you can get it at any home depot,ace hardware,lowes i will try and take a pic

tanksale060.jpg

tanksale061.jpg

That looks good! I ordered the Chem-pure and the puregen,it should come on Friday. Where did you get the cheato and the light. I like the setup.

Thanks again

thanks for the sugestion....next time i clean the rear chambers im gonna try no sponges and see if that helps with the micro bubbles............. happy reefing......al

the cheato i got from a fellow reefer and the light i got off of ebay just white leds

newsaltwater said:
Do you have you polishing filter in or just the case? Sorry I can't tell from the photo.
yes i use the polishing filters

I going to get some good live base rock from Feng and see if he has the cheato. The media will be delivered tomorrow. In the meantime I will put in the live rock and take out the sponges and put in the polishing media. I am going to home depot or Ace to see if I can find a small LED light and a egg crate.

I will post some photos on Sunday
Thanks again

newsaltwater said:
I going to get some good live base rock from Feng and see if he has the cheato. The media will be delivered tomorrow. In the meantime I will put in the live rock and take out the sponges and put in the polishing media. I am going to home depot or Ace to see if I can find a small LED light and a egg crate.

I will post some photos on Sunday
Thanks again

If you need cheato I can give you a good size clump from my fuge! I'm in 07006 free of course just need to pick it up:).