• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Advice on Custom building Sump

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
hey guys im currently planning on upgrading my fish tank to something alittle bigger maybe 75-100 gallon but wanted to get some of the essentials first also the house the put this tank into haha so heres the idea

the display tank 75-100gallon plan

The sump im custom making out of Plexiglass
size - 25 long x 15 high x 15 wide
trying to find out how any gallons will be in here?
trying to find out information on the chambers? how much space between each chamber does it even matter?
how high do the chamber walls have to be?
how strong of a return pump for this?

any advice for me currently have all the pieces cut just need to get the edges smoothed out and glued together

The chambers and the depth all depend on your filtration plans... skimmer should be picked out, and thatll tell you your minimum footprint and working depth for that chamber, will you be using bio media in the sump, filter socks, a lit refugium, and the return chamber with an ATO should all be factored in. The sump volume should basically be about 50-60% of the total volume it can hold so you have room for power failure drain down.

When I make the bubble trap baffles before the return, I usually go a minimum of 1in between plates, more if I have the room so I can add a sponge block if needed..

To add onto the mentioned feedback, plan out all your equiptment, even if your unsure you will use some of it down the road, and use the specs like dimensions, water depths, etc to dictate you chamber sizing.

Also try to lay the equiptment out where its all easily accessible to make maintenance less of a pain.

The higher the baffles are than the skimmer water depth is preferred as you can adjust the skimmer with egg crates or a stand under it. Dont make the baffle the exact height or lower than the skimmer water height recommendation. Make sure your heaters will be fully submerged 100% of the time.

Last edited: