• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

advice on lighting

Im planning on upgrading to a 40 gallon breeder in the very near future. Considering this tank is only about 14" deep ,Im debating whether i should go with T5's or MH. Im either going to go with the 36" outer orbit hqi/t5 combo or the 6 bulb tek T5's. Im concerned if the T5's could support any type of sps or clams i plan to add. Since the tank is so shallow it shouldnt be an issue but i would like you guys professional opinion. Im not concerned about the shimmer
effect given by MH,I have it on my tank now and its really not a deciding factor. I also have a chiller so heat isnt really a concern as well.Im looking
to you guys to help me make the best decision. Thanks for any feedback.

-Eugene

T5 is plenty on 40 breeder. You can have clams and SPS with T5. I have 14x39w T5 on my 180 and I have better growth with T5.

Ill agree with the T5's being more than adequate. I also second the Giessman bulbs, the Actinic+ are very good.

Thanks for the advice. Just one more question which fixture should i go with 6 bulb tek lights or 5 bulb aquactinics? Thanks for any feedback.

-Eugene