• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

AEFW

Have AEFW been known to be on the glass of a tank??? I was going to addmore corals today but after looking at my system I found what appears to be AEFW, unfortunately I can't get a close enough pic of an individual but did find what appears to be an egg sac. Any help in identifying would be appreciated...

These are on the glass not my corals...

233_20_04_08_4_07_17.JPG

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
And it didn't get them! Huh!

I had 3 drops in about 12 oz of water. That's a lot more concentrated then what you dosed. Did the trick though. I dosed a bottle and half, in about 180 gallons, over a 2 week period in my tank. I hope it sticks but I haven't seen any signs of them for a week or so. <<<<<<<<<<<anti-jinx>>>>>>>>>>> 

I wonder why the laid their eggs on the glass and not a coral. Someone posted a link about camel back shrimp but you have to be careful with them. They have a rep of chewing on corals once in a while. 

I don't see any signs of them today, no ill effects on my fish or coral either. I'm going to dose in a few days using a whole bottle and once again the following Sunday. There's probably 120 drops per bottle, I have a total of aprox. 210g of water and they recommend 4 drops per 10g so I dosed aprox. 33% more than their recommendation.

Any idea why they would be on the glass opposed to my corals? Has any one seen them on their glass? Could they be something other than AEFW?

thanks

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The one's in your picture were clear while mine were brown. Although, mine could have been brown from munching on the corals. The picture Renee posted was clearish also. I had the clear one's in my fuge when I first set up my tank but they eventually disappeared. That was almost 4 years ago. I have no idea why they laid their eggs on the glass. Kinda makes me think they are something other then AEFW. Regardless, lets hope the Blueline did them in.

Here's a link with some info on flatworms http://melevsreef.com/id/flatworm.html

According to melev white flatworms are ok, red ones become a problem when they start multiplying to plague numbers then start to die off (they multiply via light) The worst is acro eating ones. I've never heard of a acro eating flatworm on the glass, they only live on acro's and need them to survive. He has natural predators of flatworms listed on the sight and some treatments.

Francis, just what we talked about earlier, they look like plain old planarians, the egg sacs look like snail eggs though; just nuke the boys with flatworm exit if it gets overrun, but Rich's shrimp and a 6 line will take care of them no prob...

by the way, if you remind me on thursday morning, i can bring the camera and 60 mm macro so we can get a sweet closeup on the buggers.

At night, with the tank and room completely dark, take a strong flashlight and position it so that it remains shinning on a small corner of the tank for a couple hrs. You will notice the flatworms congregating at this spot...you can then easily use a pipette to suck them out of your tank ;D