• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.
We are currently looking for affordable (not so expensive) ATO options for two of our smaller tanks at the lab. We are already using the Duetto ATO on the large frag tank but wanted to see if there are more affordable options with good reviews. Also looking for affordable skimmer options (open to donations!).

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
AutoTopoff.com. Been using one for years with no trouble at all. Not too expensive. Works great.About as simple as it gets.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I've always had TUNZE for thr last 3 tanks I've owned. never had an issue

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
35 gal in basement under tank /mag 18 pump/electric strip by tank/top off every night .stupid proof

Updates on this ATO just failed :( dont recommend i'm hoping they will provide a new one.

Thank you for contacting us. According to the description, it is more likely that the sensor is defective. However, Smart ATO Lite (SATO-260P) is not authorized to be sold in the US, so please contact the store where you purchased the product for warranty.

So that sucks.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I use a tunze on my main system with no problem.
I have a 20 gallon nano and I am using this prism ato and it works great.
The ato is one of the most important component.
So it’s not a good idea to go cheap.

Salted

NJRC Member
As long as this thread is getting updated my Kamoer is still running fine. Only issue I had was one of maybe my own causing. I was noticing it not working occasionally about a month and a half ago. Cleaned the sensor and it would be ok for several days and then start screwing up again. I finally, as of about two weeks ago, moved my dosers' kalk line from my return section of my sump to the bubble trap between the fuge and return. No problems since. Pretty sure what was going on was that the surface skim the kalk leaves was coating the optical sensor. Fingers crossed that that was the issue and problem is solved.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
As long as this thread is getting updated my Kamoer is still running fine. Only issue I had was one of maybe my own causing. I was noticing it not working occasionally about a month and a half ago. Cleaned the sensor and it would be ok for several days and then start screwing up again. I finally, as of about two weeks ago, moved my dosers' kalk line from my return section of my sump to the bubble trap between the fuge and return. No problems since. Pretty sure what was going on was that the surface skim the kalk leaves was coating the optical sensor. Fingers crossed that that was the issue and problem is solved.
Keep us posted. Still have not setup mine.

Salted

NJRC Member
Keep us posted. Still have not setup mine.
Why not? Easy as can be. And I’m not a tech guy. My bubble magus doser sat in its box for two weeks because I was intimidated but it’s up and running. It really could be more user friendly though.

I wonder if using a doser pump for ato is doable
They can be used for that...i see two problems. Nothing insurmountable but would be my considerations

1. You need a separate sensor
2. Volume. Many dosers would have problems keeping up with high volumes of evaporation.

Let's forget the water volume limitation. Do you think the dosing pump would last long pumping close to max capacity every day? I'm not too familiar with them, therefore I don't know if these things are also made to be working nonstop.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I hate to be that guy. But you should just get a ATO.

Using a dosing is not going to work evaporation changes all the time. Getting your ato to work perfect is very important.
Your salinity is the most important parameter. Your
Skimmer won’t function properly If the water line is not the right water level. Your pump can run dry if you evaporate to much water. Just buy the best ato you can afford.