• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ai or kessil

Just picked up a 40b and need some lights for it. Looking to get either 2 ai primes or 2 kessils, preferably used cause I’m not looking to spend a ton. I am located in south jersey, absecon to be exact, Thanks!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
This is like asking a kid what they like better, ice cream or cake.
I’ve used both, as well as Maxspects, black boxes, and a few others. They’re both excellent lights. It comes down to preference.

In the past I ran a Prime over a 25 lagoon. I tried a Kessil at one point, which looked amazing (very clean look, cool shimmer) but stuck with the AI in the end. At the time I liked the fact that I had individual control of all colors and could get all anal-retentive control fiend. Also like phone app better than Kessil’s control. Eventually I eliminated the use of the AI color channels so I ran them more like Kessils anyway.

Currently Im running 3 AI Hydra 26HDs in a hybrid T5 unit over my 110, though it was neck in neck with Kessils. The AIs only won as I was used to the control and had a brand new one on hand from a never built fragger.

You might consider what’s available used, and base your choice on pricing, or...
You can visit a store or ask members if they’re running these and wouldn’t mind you dropping by to check out the lights in use, or...
Order one of each light from somewhere that allows open box returns and try each out side by side.