• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

AI Prime HD light

So as the title states I have an AI prime, light on my fluval M60 setup, I have it about 8 inches off the water. My question is what settings I should be using for a mixed reef, I have a little of everything. SPS,LPS, zoa's, mushrooms and a crocea clam. My question is if anyone has experience with the AI Prime light and if so what settings should I be using? I attached my current settings, I have a schedule of lights start ramping up at 530-7 full on from 7-7 and a ramp down from 7-830.Screenshot_20170220-223341.pngScreenshot_20170220-223336.png

I have been playing with the settings but I'm not sure if my corals like it..they open up, but I think my hammer doesn't fully expand. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm using AI Hydra 52's on my 125 gal reef. The control is similar.

I run them for 8 hours a day with a 1 hour ramp up and 1 hour ramp down. I run all the LED colors at 80% of max.

The thing your going to find out is that every reef is different, so even if you like the way I'm doing it, it may not be right for you. I prefer more red and green over what your running, but this is personal preference. Keeping the those colors lower may help with algae control.

Over all, I'd say what you have is a good place to start, and now adjust it up or down depending upon how you and your corals like it.

I like the red and green levels because I like the more even spectrum. I think you get a much more natural looking tank. Now I will tell you that I like the color temp of the tank to be only about 10000K to about 12000k or so. I feel that a higher color temp is just too blue and looks very artificial. I really dislike the tanks that are using almost all blue and violet to make the corals seem to fluoresce. However there are plenty of people that like those effects. With lighting being so subjective and in many respects controversial, I wouldn't call them wrong. At the same time, I'd count it against them if I was voting for "tank of the month".

The nice thing you have with a fixture like a Hydra or Prime is that you can try various settings until you like it. Compare this to T5s or MHs where you need to change bulbs.

Red lights will do better for plants ... including algae so ... it can have some adverse affects. When my blues died on my Apollo fixture half my tank started growing algae the other half not.