• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aiptasia removal

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have 4 tanks with 4 different aiptasia removal
Fish/inverts.

The 1st tank is the anemone tank this tank only has peppermint shrimps (2) in a 50 gallon frag tank.
No aiptasia. Each peppermint shrimp cost $10 so for $20 I have no aiptasia in this tank.

Tank 2 mix corals low boy frag tank.
In this tank I have one copperband. I had this copper band in a qt tank and he cleaned a rock with aiptasia and I was able to get him to eat LRS. He cleaned some of the frag racks and rock but not all. $60 for the copper band.

Tank number 3 this is also a 50 gallon frag tank.
In this tank I took a different approach with my aiptasia control. In this tank I used a Klein butterfly fish.
This fish is not 100% reef safe but I just have SPS in this tank and he has almost cleaned the whole frag tank.
This is by far the best fish to eat aiptasia fast. $40

Last tank tank number 4 I used Berghia Nudibranch.
I also added some of these Nudis to the display.
The ones I added to the display I believe became wrasse food. At $15 each from salty under ground that’s a very expensive meal. I got 10 nudis at salty under ground
For $15 each. So I spend $150 on nudis they work on small tanks/ frag tanks but on big displays with wrasses/ trigger fish they don’t have a chance.

I also learned that combining fish with nudis is not a good idea. Since copper band also love to eat the Berghia.
I also believe the peppermint shrimp will eat the Berghia as well.

So what your go to fish/inverts for aiptasia control ??

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Are the Klein as hard to keep alive as the copperbands ?

Nope super easy they eat everything. They are also not aggressive towards other fish. This is my 1st time with one
Of these fish and I have him in a frag tank so it’s really easy to remove if he goes after corals.

In a reef tank it would be impossible to remove this fish if he goes rogue

Last edited:

Jamie S

NJRC Member
In my 125 I have a file fish. He’s gotten a few but I still see 1 or 2 around so I know he’s keeping the population under control. The anemone biocube on the other hand has a bunch but I haven’t figured out how I’m going to get rid of them. Maybe I’ll move the cleaner shrimp to the 125 and get a few peppermint shrimp also

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
In my 125 I have a file fish. He’s gotten a few but I still see 1 or 2 around so I know he’s keeping the population under control. The anemone biocube on the other hand has a bunch but I haven’t figured out how I’m going to get rid of them. Maybe I’ll move the cleaner shrimp to the 125 and get a few peppermint shrimp also

I didn’t include file fish in these tanks. I had one before in my last setup in a frag tank and he started to eat corals so
I replaced him with a copper band. I think a file fish in a anemone tank would be great. I would think that aiptasia would have a really hard time surviving with multiple anemones attacking them. So I wonder if aiptasia would be able to grow in a tank full of anemones??

Last edited:

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Amado I got 3 peppermint shrimp around 10 days ago and since that night I saw them one day. Are yours that hard to find?

Yeah as we all know shrimp are delicious. Lol
They are also the bottom of the food chain so
For their safety they only come out at night.
When I feed some times they will stick their heads out.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I didn’t include file fish in these tanks. I had one before in my last setup in a frag tank and he started to eat corals so
I replaced him with a copper band. I think a file fish in a anemone tank would be great. I would think that aiptasia would have a really hard time surviving with multiple anemones attacking them. So I wonder if aiptasia would be able to grow in a tank full of anemones??
That’s interesting about anemones attacking aptasia. Perhaps I should get a few more and see lol

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That’s interesting about anemones attacking aptasia. Perhaps I should get a few more and see lol

I have no proof but on the side of my display with my huge anenome I have not one aiptasia in that rock or surrounding.
I have zero aiptasia in the anemones tank

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I don't any large tanks yet and usually catch it, remove the piece, scrape and treat with lemon juice, then put the piece in the tank with the peppermint shrimp for a while. I can see how it can go undetected in a larger tank- when I finally get my 75 going I'll consider the other options

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I don't any large tanks yet and usually catch it, remove the piece, scrape and treat with lemon juice, then put the piece in the tank with the peppermint shrimp for a while. I can see how it can go undetected in a larger tank- when I finally get my 75 going I'll consider the other options

That works as well. It’s just easier to have something that naturally eats it.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I just checked and no peppermint shrimp anywhere. I think the yellow coris had a 3 shrimp cocktail.

When I tore down my last tank and I moved.
I found a bunch or invertebrates/ corals that I thought was dead and they lived inside the rocks.
I found peppermints I hadn’t see for a long time.
I also found a green carpet anemone I thought was dead.
But it lived and was getting light inside a rock it looked
Very healthy and I was shocked. I found sea cucumber and a brittle starfish I hadn’t seen since I setup the tank.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I got 3 peppermints last week. let's see if they fix the problem.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I found that when I fist got my peppermint shrimp they didn't do much- but they were small- a year old now with big appetites
hopefully these guys learn fast and are hungry hahaha

A hungry copper band eats them up. But if you have no fish the nudi’s will clean em all out !
if you have fish. Butterfly best even a four eye butterfly but after they clean rocks they can pick on corals

Agree it's nice to have something that naturally keeps aiptasia at bay. I have a longnose butterfly fish in my 195 gal softie/LPS tank. He's been a model citizen and keeps all the aiptasia away.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Agree it's nice to have something that naturally keeps aiptasia at bay. I have a longnose butterfly fish in my 195 gal softie/LPS tank. He's been a model citizen and keeps all the aiptasia away.

I almost pull the trigger on one long nose butterfly.
But the staff at absolutely fish all agreed the Klein Is a better
Aiptasia eater.