• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae Bloom question

Morning everyone. Just looking to re-affirm my thoughts. Two days ago I added a little more food than my aquarium is used to and i got the wonderful cloudy water bloom. Tank parameters are pretty consistent to what I always have with the 'food source' parameters with nitrates undetectable with using the API test kits and my phosphates have 'spiked' to between 0.5 and 1 PPM. I did a 15% water change this morning and am preparing another one..just in case. Normally, I would not think twice about this but I did have one of my montipora digi bleach. Now I cannot tell if it was just slightly too close to a torch or if this is related to the bloom.

To my question...anyone think that this is more than a 'wait it out' situation. If it was not for the Monti bleaching I probably wouldn't give this a second though..but i do have a few nice torches in there and some higher end sps. Would hate to endure a preventable tank crash.

Thanks

I lost two more Monits. Really bummed as one was a grafted red/Green WWC capricornis. So definitely not a wait it out situation. Glad i had the additional water change ready. Hoping i didnt wait too long.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I dunno, over feeding once usually doesn’t crash a tank. What are the rest of your parameters? Have you had any swings in any of them?

8.5 Alk, 1.024 Salinity, 8.1 PH, 0 Nitrates, 480 Ca, and as mentioned before 1.0 PO4. I have been cloudy'ish for a while so probably has been a level of over feeding for a while..but outside of the phosphates..everything has been REASONABLY consistent. When I say reasonably..my alk has swung from between 8 and 9.5. Could be the time of day measurement..but that has been the only parameter that has not stayed dead on.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
well that’s a lot of phosphates for me. I don’t think that’s a enough of an alk swing to cause issues most of the time. You have a Nano right? I’ve never run one before, but everything happens faster in a Nano....

Yup. She's a Red Sea Reefer Nano. 21 gallons with roughly a 7 gallon sump. Definitely going to do something to get those phoshates down. Had some cloudiness for a while but my last over feeding really gave me a nice bloom. Its a shame. My Cheato in the sump really hasnt taken off. It manages the nitrates wonderfully but just not getting those phosphates dealt with. Might have to look at chemical.

Still waiting on my Potassium Nitrade to show up..but wanted to ask a secondary question and get some advice..if anyone doesnt mind. I put in the seachem PhosGuard and got the phosphates to undetectable. This in conjunction with undetectable nitrates (via the API master test kit), I would have expect that my cloudiness would have cleared up or at least noticeably started to clear..but it hasnt. Outside of a pretty active pistol shrimp, i am just flat out of ideas on how to clarify the water. How long does these blooms take to clear up once you have removed the food sources? I know we are only talking 5 ish days since the cloudiness took over..but I am generally concerned that something else is going on because I have not really noticed a perceivable difference. All of my fish and corals seem to be happy again..but the water just looks terrible.

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 27248

Are you running activated carbon? Do you run a filter sock or micro filter?

I ran active carbon last week and that is when this entire bloom started...so curious if there is any connection.

My mechanical filtration:

• 200 micron filter sock (cleaned regularly)
  • Poly filter floss (changed regularly)
  • Microbubble sponge filter
  • Tunze nano skimmer (emptied regularly)
Chemical filtration
  • SeaChem Phosguard
  • Cheato (really hasnt taken off in the two months since I have had it)

D

Deleted member 27248

I ran active carbon last week and that is when this entire bloom started...so curious if there is any connection.

My mechanical filtration:

• 200 micron filter sock (cleaned regularly)
  • Poly filter floss (changed regularly)
  • Microbubble sponge filter
  • Tunze nano skimmer (emptied regularly)
Chemical filtration
  • SeaChem Phosguard
  • Cheato (really hasnt taken off in the two months since I have had it)
Hmmm...Do you have any pictures? Could it be calicium precipitation?

My calcium and Alk are slightly high..but that is just because I did a 50% water change (over the course of a few days). I use instant ocean reef crystals. I thought about precipitation too but I am still getting some powdery brown on my glass..which to me tells me there is still some sort of food source. I just retested again...undetectable nitrate and phosphate.

Attachments

• reef.jpg
    reef.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2
D

Deleted member 27248

From my experience having 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate Causes more problems. It could be diatoms or it could be dinos. There is a bunch of good videos by bulk reef supply talking about just that.

I am slapping my head silly for the dinos and diatoms. I dont know if i am suffering from dementia or stupidity..but i definitely should know better. trying to slowing bring some nutrients back in the system, put in same bacter7 to replenish my good bacteria. thanks for being awesome @MaximusReef.

UV sterilizer installed. Corallife 6x Turbo Twist. Went from a thick fog to best clarity ever over a period of 36 hours. Still probably have to get my water chemistry a bit more stabilized but crisis appears averted.

bad experience with that brand. read the instructions and install correctly. mine lasted me exactly 89 days installed incorrectly.- fixture busted and was putting electricity in the tank. got lucky and was refunded by chewy.