• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae growth

I have some brown algae growing on my sand bed just wondering if it is something that will burn its self out our if there is something i can do to get rid of it. I have already syphoned the top layer off when doing a water change. All parameters are good. Nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ammonia 0 p.h. 8.2 alkalinity 7.2 salt 1.26 temp about 80.0. i run the lights about 8 hours a day. It is a 29 gal biocube. Inhabitants iclude multiple corals small clean up crew crocoea clam one fp clown and one orange spotted goby. The fish are fed every other day. here are some pics
DSC00234.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like diatoms. My experience is that it burns itself out about 3 to 4 days after your patience reaches its end and you snap!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think that "Part of the cycle" depends on if your tank is under 6mo or not. Diatoms are typically caused by increased silicates, typical in a new setup. If your tank is not "new", you likely have a source contributing to the silicates. Those could come from your water supply, salt or environment. If your tank is over 6mo you'll want to work to identify the source of the silicates.

Adding a cucumber to the tank will surely keep your sand cleaner. You may consider adding one of those in any case.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The kind that won't poison your tank when it dies! ;D Does anyone remember the type to stay away from?

We got ours from Reeftopia. The only place I can find it on their site is their "Lot Prices" page. That may mean they don't carry it anymore, but you could always check with them to see. Otherwise you can check with TBAquatics (or one of our other sponsors) and he can get you a price on one.

maybe upgrade the Clean up crew - what do you have for the sand bed (if anything?) you could consider maybe adding a few nassarius (keep in mind they want meat, they just stir the sand bed) snails and a few cerith snails.

I personally think that your diatoms will clear up on their own. What sand did you use? Some people have problems with silicates in the water causing diatoms... if I'm not mistaken.