• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae issue taking over

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I just got out of a 3 month battle where I was almost ready to give up the tank due to hair and turf algae.
I was ill for a couple weeks and it overran, seriously overran the tank.
Initially used Vibrant to questionable effect.
About 8 weeks ago I did a 3 day total blackout and on re-opening, turned off the skimmer and reactor and treated with Flux RX.
Turned skimmer back on 3 days after dosing, left reactors off. Sfter about 7-10 days there was a noted decrease in the algae.
Began a week of 10g water changes per day (system is approx 130g).
I was changing 3 filter socks daily with the gunk coming out.
Now doing 2.5g per day changes, every day, part of my morning routine before breakfast, blowing the rocks off first with a baster.
I cant find a spot of green hair or turf anywhere.

Heres the stuff I used...

Here's a shot (bit blurred) of just after the blackout, as I started the Flux and WCs...

IMG_0547.jpeg

And here's a shot I just took of the same rock area...

IMG_1063.jpeg

You can see in the bottom left of the second pic that I have a small amount red slime which is slowly dissipating as I'm continuing wc's, lowering nitrates and phosphates with decreasing feeding schedule.

Last edited:

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We went the blackout/dr tims route. We went with 3-4 days the first time and they came back about 2 weeks later. We went with a 13 day blackout and so far so good. We are slowly turning the light back up.

We went the blackout/dr tims route. We went with 3-4 days the first time and they came back about 2 weeks later. We went with a 13 day blackout and so far so good. We are slowly turning the light back up.

Mike
How are you handling the black out? Completely covering the tank or just lights out with normal ambient conditions. Feeding still?

OK so for everyone that responded thinking Dinosaur. While agree for the most part here is something to chew on. I have never seen or heard of snails and inverts eating dinoflaggettes. Yet I see this everyday. Here are 2 spots under each frag that were cover only a couple of hours ago, cleared by astreas, and my urchin is still clearing areas as well.
Thoughts?
20200428_173518.jpg

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I used the black poster board from the Dollar store and thick blanket.
I did not feed and did a 7 day black out.
Lost 2 fish and some frags. My logic was it would either cure or speed up the restart process. Was battling Dunks on and off for months.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I have done this in the past and it did help restart. I did feed fish but no light at all. Except for a half hour to feed and it was room light not let or t5.
also 10ml peroxide