• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae or bacteria?

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So I have this weird brown algae that keeps showing up on my new rock..frag rack..frag plugs..and powerheads. No where else. It doesn't grow on any established rock either. It's a weird spore like algae unlike I've seen before. I clean my my40s and 2 weeks later it's back again.

Attachments

• 20230816_220641.jpg
    20230816_220641.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230816_220648.jpg
    20230816_220648.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230816_220654.jpg
    20230816_220654.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Check your rodi water. When I was getting that. I had chloramines in my water

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Check your rodi water. When I was getting that. I had chloramines in my water
I changed my filters and even the membrane and still same. I thought it was dinos at first, but doesn't seem like it.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Not dino. Probably hair algae. In my case very painful to get rid of. I eventually did Flex Rx and fixed the problem.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
can try peroxide dipping or dosing to remove hair algae. I used it on frags when I see green hair algae.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
can try peroxide dipping or dosing to remove hair algae. I used it on frags when I see green hair algae.
I left one small rock and frag rack in peroxide......nothing...this thing is a survivor!!

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I recently started seeing my hair algae subside and i made the following 3 changes 1) added a ATS although it hasn't produced much algae 2) replenished my CUC and 3) i dosed tropic marin elimi-phos for 2 weeks to lower phosphates. I think 2 and 3 have been the biggest contributing factor.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I changed my filters and even the membrane and still same. I thought it was dinos at first, but doesn't seem like it.
That won’t matter if your water has chlormine. It destroys the membrane You need to buy a new filter that goes after the chloramine.

Check your water supply with township

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
When you fan it does it disperse in the water column with some whisps sticking together only to recoat everything?
Nah, you have to rip or scrape it off

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That won’t matter if your water has chlormine. It destroys the membrane You need to buy a new filter that goes after the chloramine.

Check your water supply with township
But it doesn't grow on the old rock
Only new rock and anything plastic. .

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I recently started seeing my hair algae subside and i made the following 3 changes 1) added a ATS although it hasn't produced much algae 2) replenished my CUC and 3) i dosed tropic marin elimi-phos for 2 weeks to lower phosphates. I think 2 and 3 have been the biggest contributing factor.
I also run a clear water v2 scrubber. (Thing Isa beast!). Worst part is, my acros actually like phosphate hahaha