• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Alk spike with kalk reactor

I just installed a new pm kalk reactor from the group buy.
I have been running a cal reactor before this with a cal. reading of 450 and a alk. of 7.5 dkh. I wanted to boost the dkh so I added the kalk reactor to my topoff system. Yesterday my Cal was 460 alk was 12.
Today my Cal. is 460 but the alk is up to 14 dkh. Ph 8.0
Should I not run both reactors? Tank is 30 breeder.

What you need to do is adjust both the Kalk and Calcium reactor so they are both working a bit. You can do this different ways but what I would do is try to use the Kalk reactor to keep the system in the 8.4-8.6 pH range if possible and then pick up the slack using the calcium reactor.

I personally like a very high pH like that what is found on many reefs so I like the 8.4-8.6 range. Others like the 8.2-8.4 range.

Carlo

Would it make a differance if I used less media in the kalk reactor? I have about 1.5" in the pm kalk reactor now.

I did a 10% water change that brought the alk down to 12.5 I took the kalk reactor out of the loop for now. when the alk reading goes down to around 9dkh I will switch the kalk reactor to be the main source of dosing. Then I will tweek the cal. reactor as needed.

SI REEF said:
Would it make a difference if I used less media in the kalk reactor? I have about 1.5" in the pm kalk reactor now.

I wouldn't adjust the amount of media as you want to always use enough for it to become saturated during the stir process. The key way to control it would be to slow down the drip either with a control valve or controller or using a timer or some other method to turn on/off a pump if you are using it.

Your plan sounds good. Keep us updated.

Carlo

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If your PH is 8, I wouldn't adjust the Kalk reactor, I'd slow down your CO2/drip rate into your tank. That's bringing the PH down. If you slow/stop the Kalk reactor, that "problem" is only going to be worse. If you haven't done it yet this month, please oh PLEASE calibrate your PH probe.

I just purchased a AC-JR for the timing of the the kalk reactor. I'll wait till that comes before i hook up the reactor again.
I was wondering if I could use a manifold between the make up water and the sump. That way I could cut back on the water going into the kalk reactor with a valve. Some water going into the sump and some going thru the reactor than into sump.