• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Am I Going in the right direction.???

Hi,

I recently got into the salt water craze and was just wondering if things are moving in the right direction?

6 days ago i started a 28G Nano Cube CF-Quad. So far I started with 16 lbs of live rock (Fiji/Tonga) and 20 lbs of Carib-sea IndoPacific live sand.

I did a water test this morning and found no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates so im assuming the cycle hasn't begun yet. The SG was a little low at 1.016 so I'm adding some salt slowly to try and get it up.

I also noticed some algae growing on the glass, (not sure if this is a good thing or not), and these small white things that resemble bugs on the inside of the glass....any idea what they could be?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated....Thanks.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Saltwater Fish!! Sounds like you are going in the right direction!!

Do you know if the LR was already cured when you added it to your tank?? Ifso, you may not cycle.

Are you running your lights right now?? That's what could be causing the algae.

The little white bugs are copepods. You want them...they are beneficial and signs of a healthy tank.

You definitely want to raise your SG to about 1.025.

9supratt4 said:
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Saltwater Fish!! Sounds like you are going in the right direction!!

Do you know if the LR was already cured when you added it to your tank?? Ifso, you may not cycle.

Are you running your lights right now?? That's what could be causing the algae.

The little white bugs are copepods. You want them...they are beneficial and signs of a healthy tank.

You definitely want to raise your SG to about 1.025.

+1

Yeah your ok so far. Prob just didn't cycle yet or if your rocks est then you might just do a mini cycle. Raise the sg to around 1.024-1.026 temp around 79, water change maybe 10% every week for now and keep testin before each one

Hey thanks for the feedback....lights have been on, so like you said that would explain the algae.

SG is coming up....doing it slowly by taking some water out, making it saltier and then adding it back in.

Thanks for the feedback!!!