• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Amphipods

Hi,

So, all of a sudden I've noticed an uprising of amphipods in my tank. I saw about 4 tiny ones this morning. What is bothersome is that I saw those 4 hanging out in my 'wall hammer coral' (instead of branching type coral).

The issue comes in that two days ago, the section they were sitting in had 'barely alive/trying to regrow' baby coral heads. NOW its empty, with a growth of 1 gray blob. It looks like a blob of gametes.

I don't think these amphipods are bad for the tank, BUT I'd like to know what happened to the re-growing coral tentacles. I've seen the amphipods 'cleaning' my zoo's and 'chilling' out on LR but...eh, is this good, bad or 'neither'

If they were really amphipods, I don't think they could "kill" a coral...do you have a pic of the amphipods?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You must need more fish! My fish keep those critters in check. You wouldn't see them hanging around during the daytime! I think they're more cleanup than culprit. I'd look to water quality & flow before I blamed the pods.

Amphipods will not eat and do not eat living coral. They feed on dead or decaying matter in your tank. they are great little scaveners and a definite benefit to the ecosystem