• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

another lighting question

I have a 90 reef tank currently setup and I am thinking about going with a retro fit T-5 lighting setup. <p>

How many 54w t5's do I need in order to keep lps, sps, and clams in this 90?<p>

I know everyone likes the icecaps, but I am looking for other suggestions as well.

thanks

I have 6 t5s going accross the top of my 58gallon which is 18" front to back. Since the 90 is the same depth I would go with the same thing.

It takes 2 ballasts driving 3 bulbs each.

But they make 48" 6 bulb fixtures. Maybe go with something like that inless you like wiring. The price difference isn't much between a fixture and Retro. Retro is only a tiny bit less expensive and a lotta bit more work.

The benifit with the retro is you can overdrive your bulbs. Like Icecap Ballast can over drive your 54w bulb to do 80+watts each and you can get individual reflectors.

Make sure if you Retro that you put holes in the canopy and fans because t5s get hot without them.

well I am trying to get the best bang for the buck without breaking the bank. I think icecap is out of my price range. Just a decent quality t5 would be fine. I don't have a preference to brand.