• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anthias ?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Was thinking about adding a Lyre tail Anthias to my 75g. Any opinions on them. I know they are aggressive towards one another but would two be okay? Or should I just forget about them.

Thanks
Mark

place them in groups of three, five or more. they need to be fed often in little amounts throughout the day since they have a high metabolic rate and they do better this way. They are schooling fish that seek shelter near coral heads and would prefer to have the same security in a tank.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So 3 would be okay in 75g? I have been reading 1 should be kept in 70g and 3 or more 125g plus. I would like a school but not if my tank is to small.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I heard feeding them multiple times a day is the only way to keep them. I'd like to get some, but not sure how to feed them so often. Would it be ok to feed them dry flakes or pellets from an auto feeder 4 times a day and hand feed a variety of foods at night be enough to sustain them?

Taz

Tazmaniancowboy said:
I heard feeding them multiple times a day is the only way to keep them. I'd like to get some, but not sure how to feed them so often. Would it be ok to feed them dry flakes or pellets from an auto feeder 4 times a day and hand feed a variety of foods at night be enough to sustain them?

Taz

I eventually conditioned my anthia by feeding twice on days I work (before I left for work, when I came back from work), and three times when I was off and was home.

Meaty foods high in protein like mysis shrimp, grated shrimp, and bloodworms is what they preferred in my tank, mixed in with other supplements such as garlic, pelleted and some flake. I eventually also made my own food mix to cater for all the other organisms in the tank.

I have kept up to 5 in my old 75 gallon, and they don't stray too far from their main hang out spot.... IME they don't swim around like tangs, clowns, etc....they prefer to be near and around their secure hang out. a good amount of water flow will also help bring them little bits of food when they cower away from all the feeding frenzies. I have spot fed them in the past as well to help them get used to "unnatural" processes in the tank. There was a point in time when I was hand feeding them.

this was taken in my old 75 gallon tank.
I no longer have the fish, but look how cute my little piggy hippo tang is.... he's now over 8 inches long!

feedingtime4.jpg

Anthiasintank.jpg

mine has a tendancey to be slightlt aggresive but mostly leaves stuff alone and its well fed , but once sometimes twice a day...

i think you should be fine if you got three depending on the rest of the bioload in your tank. I would get a male and 2 smaller females. The aggression tends to come from trying to asset dominance.

good luck
Harry