• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any decking experts on here?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I need to re-do my deck as its getting bad. I had that rustoleum stuff on there for years and it was the worst thing I ever did. I have boards warping, some are splitting, some are cracked etc.

Just looking for some replacement tips or what I should be looking for when tackling this type of project.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
@mikem is your guy for advise or potentially doing the work

Strip off old decking and check condition of joists/beams....replace as needed.

New decking, consider composite decking....Trek is a popular brand, but they are really all the same. If you wish, you can blind screw the new decking so that you don't see the fasteners. Some of the new composites have blind side clamps that you screw in, but never see, because the next board covers it up.

Now, that said, if you have money burning up your pockets, consider Ipe wood decking. It's very expensive but looks very nice with an oil finish. It has natural "bug" inhibitors and is hard as rocks (will dull saw blades real fast), and will last forever.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
At this point it need to be replaced. The rustoleum stuff wont come off and sanding isn't an option cuz of the stuff.

I was looking at composite but not sure where to go as there are so many options.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So heres what I'm working with
20200616_144123.jpg20200616_144139.jpg20200616_164108.jpg

This stuff is impossible to take off and you can, see i have some damaged boards. They look like 10ft planks

Last edited:

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
rip up 5/4 *6 .check underlying supports for rot . replace with treated.. put a new top on it . cheaper option 5/4-6 treated (garbage) trex like paul said is better . a lot more but it will last....

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If considering long term options, I agree with Paul and Chris.
The previous owners put Trex down in 2008 and today the deck still looks like it should be in a showroom.
Composite is more expensive, but nearly zero maintenance (powerwasher blast every spring) and it'll last forever.
Here's a heavily used 12yo deck...
IMG_1244.jpeg

I need to re-do my deck as its getting bad. I had that rustoleum stuff on there for years and it was the worst thing I ever did. I have boards warping, some are splitting, some are cracked etc.

Just looking for some replacement tips or what I should be looking for when tackling this type of project.
Brother this is up my ally just hit me up I’ll swing by and take look and tell you what you need,, maybe 2 n half days work, I’ve done dozens n dozens of decks from repair to replace to create from scratch 18yrs of construction hanging and banging baby
Seriously though call me you won’t be able to get it done cheaper

Brother this is up my ally just hit me up I’ll swing by and take look and tell you what you need,, maybe 2 n half days work, I’ve done dozens n dozens of decks from repair to replace to create from scratch 18yrs of construction hanging and banging baby
Seriously though call me you won’t be able to get it done cheaper

You have my number

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
@Trio91 i just bought the rustoleum deck resurfacer for my deck. It’s sheduled to come in the mail this weekend.

Am I about to screw myself? How long did it last for? Our deck is only 4 years old...

@Trio91 i just bought the rustoleum deck resurfacer for my deck. It’s sheduled to come in the mail this weekend.

Am I about to screw myself? How long did it last for? Our deck is only 4 years old...
That stuff is crap send it back , spend the money on a coral instead of that crappy thick paint(that’s all it is ,, Thick Paint

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Sure have but right now the wallets a little tight. So now that I have a sense of what my plan is, I'm going to have this done some time in the future.