• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any experince with Reef Glass Nano Skimmers

I have had my Nano 10 gallon going now for awhile and have not had the need for a skimmer, 1 because of the frequency of water changes and 2 cause of the size cost of most skimmers on the market not fitting my budget and limitations. How ever I am always looking for ways to keep the highest water quality i can mechanically provide in my tank such as making DIY adjustments and modifications to my filter and filter media. Plus it would be great to cut back on water changes.
I recently came across a youtube review of the Reef Glass Nano Skimmer it was extremely simple in design, pleasant on the eyes and compact enough to not look unsightly with its in tank design. So i am curious if anyone has used one or knows of someone who does and can share how well it works?
I browsed the price and was taken back that it costs around 85 dollars which i guess in terms of skimmer costs is cheap but i am the type of guy who looks at a device and thinks can i make it my self. So looking at the device its basically a glass pyrex open ended tube like you would get in a chemistry lab with a rubber stopper on one end, two holes are drilled threw the stopper and inserted in one hole is a air valve (L shaped) in which a air supply hose from a pump is connected on the out side and on the inside a hard plastic air tube (possibly glass) is connected the bottom end of the valve that protrudes threw the stopper and then connects to a the wooden air stone. The second hole in the stopper is plugged with another L Shaped (90*degree bend) air tube connector that has a soft air tube that drains the skimmer waste into a container for collection.
so a quick search of those 4 pieces on ebay and i found this the glass pyrex tube 5 for 4.00 dollars rubber stoppers a dozen for about 2.00 dollars the L shaped connector was 97 cents and the air valve was 1.25 the hard tube was values by length but the average price was any were from 98 cents to 1.97 dollars the air stone was the roughly the highest expense at 8 dollars. So the Cost to produce 1 "Doc Brand" Nano Skimmer is 12 dollars minus the cost of the air pump and tubeing which was not provided with the purchase of the Glass Reef Nano Skimmer so i didn't factor it in here.
The question is before i try to make my own Does the Glass Reef Nano Skimmer work?
if it does then i plan on giving it a go and making my own and since most of the supplies comes in bulk id gladly share them with you guys and gals

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Without question you can DIY a wood air stone skimmer.....and there are a load of DIY videos showing how to do it with plastic water bottles that actually have a skimmer cup on the top. The issue with wood air stone skimmers is that the air stone needs to be cleaned/replaced frequently and the air pump needs to be a more expensive high volume pump....not the litlle 5 - 10 dollar ones, but more like the 30 - 40 dollar and up pumps. With only ten gallons, simply control water quality by water changes.

Without question you can DIY a wood air stone skimmer.....and there are a load of DIY videos showing how to do it with plastic water bottles that actually have a skimmer cup on the top. The issue with wood air stone skimmers is that the air stone needs to be cleaned/replaced frequently and the air pump needs to be a more expensive high volume pump....not the litlle 5 - 10 dollar ones, but more like the 30 - 40 dollar and up pumps. With only ten gallons, simply control water quality by water changes.
Ya I have seen quite a few DIY Skimmers on youtube one of my favorite channels "the king of DIY" has the plastic bottle one you mentioned i have tried a few and they all work pretty good but they weren't to pleasant to look at. Ive beeen doing great with the water changes and keep my water quality good with them alone i was wondering if adding a skimmer would even make much of a difference if added to the system on top of the water changes to be noticeable