• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

any one know how to keep an anemone on a rock

ok, got a purple candy tip LTA that I feel is too big for the tank but it is really nice looking. It will not stay in the places that are good for it, so is there any way to get it to stay put? It stings my mushrooms and other stuff and pulls stuff off the rocks when it travels. Help.....?

Nems will do as they please. Some will find a place and never leave. Others will float around aimlessly for always. This is the risk you run keeping them and there is no surefire way to keep them where you want them to be.

A 3" Roofers Nail ! :eek: j/k
They will roam around until they find the spot that is good for them,not the spot that you have picked out for it . Causing havoc along the way .Kind of like Godzilla trashing Tokyo .
I was thinking of putting one in my tank for my clown but decided to sell the clown instead . I have been told it is best to put the anemone in the tank first so it doesn't kill anything looking for its "happy place" .

Yep what qwik said is best advice. Don't try moving it after it has found its happy place. The only problem with what qwik said is, a lot of times, when you add stuff, it decides it wants to move again. The only nem I know that pretty much stays still (relatively) is sebae.

For the reefer whose looking for anemones that dont move alot.

Try some of the anemones that bury their foot in the sand. Most will stay on the bottum of the reef and dont venture up.

Long tentacles and stichodactyla haddoni are sand dwellers mostly.

Getting an anemone to stay in place in very hard especially with bubbletips, bubbletips dont really like high flow touching their base. But they do like some flow on their tentacles. They move till the find a spot to anchor their foot and keep it safe and a place for their tentacles reach out. Most captive bred bubbletips move more and dont really hide their foot that much.

Its a trade off healthy captive bred roamers or taking your chances on a wild caught that is def gonna hide in a nook and crany.

Bryan said:
problem salved in its meandering last night it found the filter inlet... :'(

Not sure what type of filter inlet you are talking about. But my LARGE RBTA found the intake of my seio powerhead and I just turned the pump off and let the anemone do its thing. It has been fine and getting larger ever since. I have been lucky (knock on wood) all the anemones I have placed in my tanks have stayed were I put them. I have 3 GBTA's and 2 RBTA's in my 300. I have a LARGE RBTA in my 75.

Doesn't look like it was stuck long and it isn't shredded so i am hoping no ill effect on the rest of the tank. how upset do you think my maroon gold band clown will be with no anemone?

Clowns only need an anemone for protection. In our cases in our tanks there not going to get eaten by a grouper or a shark or an eel, so as you can guess theyll be fine.

Once they begin hosting their body produces a slime coat that disguises the fish so it can move freely throughout the anemone without being stung by the stingers in each tentacle. So they may try to host something else if you remove the anemone. LPS or shrooms or powerheads.

If its not shredded then it will most likely be fine i would cover the intake with cut out filter sponge. I had a carpet get shredded by a vortech, it was a 3 inch long by 1 inch wide peice. It came back in two weeks fully.

They are resilent animals when you have very good water quality and lights. Good luck

Bryan said:
Doesn't look like it was stuck long and it isn't shredded so i am hoping no ill effect on the rest of the tank. how upset do you think my maroon gold band clown will be with no anemone?

Did you take it out of the tank? It is possible that it can survive if it was not completly shredded.

It was completely tangled in the intake (which isn't very bug/wide). I took off the intake cap and the anemone and put it in a cup hoping it would untangle itself but it just continued to shrivel and die. :( No life at all unfortunately.... and it looks to have killed one of my gobi's in the process of dying or flailing. Everything else looks fine, but I plan on doing a water swap anyway, just to be sure.

Here's a pic of the devil just yesterday :'(

l_7c70d18e15fb4910bdd7ec20f19439cd.jpg

You can see the intake just on the upper right of the pic. The vents aren't very wide and my current isn't REAL strong, so no idea why he got stuck.

Any pictures of the base im not sure thats an long tentacle anemone without seeing the base.

Does it have any dots on the base at the top where the base meets the outer disc?

only ic i have but there were no dots stripes or any coloring at all other than the purple tips. maby it was a candy

I thinks its a condylatis gigantea. A condy.

Its not a hosting anemone and is considered aggresive. Be careful some people have lucky with them and some don't.

The Condy Anemone is a member of the family Actiniidae. It is Caribbean in origin and is also known as the Haitian Anemone or Giant Golden Anemone. Though hardy, it requires a moderate level of care. Suitable diet includes filter feeding invert food, Mysis shrimp, phytoplankton and small pieces of Silver Side and raw shrimp. Though it lives in symbiosis with Zooxanthellae Algae, it does not associate with any type of Clownfish. The Condy usually buries its base in the sand for protection and stability. It does best with live rock and crustaceans, although the Red-Legged Hermit Crab is a common predator. Desire to move around within a reef environment makes it a possible sting threat to corals and other anemones.

Where did it go.

Before you add another one wait a week and do a water change.

Get you water in tip top shape and then introduce a cloned bubbletip. Green or red or a Long Tentacle anemone.

It died this morning, got itself sucked into the intake vent and turned itself inside out. I'm doing a whole different tank, switching from the 15g to the 72g, so water won't be an issue, whole new setup.

Tested the water in the nano for pH, nitrites, nitrates, ammonia and salinity and all is perfect, so I guess the anemone didn't foul things up as I thought it had. :D