• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone 3D Printing?

was thinking about building my own. came across this video but would like advice of someone that has a bit of experience whether this is a good build to go after or not

I unfortunately don't have a lot of experience doing custom builds. I've worked with a few engineers that do that for a living , but their printed products are a lot more robust than anything I would ever need. I always recommend buying a kit or pre-built as a first printer unless you're trying to industrialize your prints for small business applications. Do you know what your end goal for 3d printing will be? Tinkering with the tech? Printing out design prototypes? Or just somewhere around use?

I don't really have anything in mind, just looking to jump in and looks like a fun project. I guess I might use it to make parts for my boats mostly. maybe a few things for the aquariums too.

Not gonna knock down a fellow tinkerer for taking up a new project! Do you want to borrow a printer of mine (its a cheapo ender 3) before making the $$$ plunge into building your own? It should at least get your feet wet. Its not the best printer and could probably use some tuning up... but it will take a lot less troubleshooting than the zidex you're looking at.

much appreciated! i think im going to just dive in though. so the one in the video is a lot of trouble? i may keep looking. i mean there isnt really a rush or anything.

I wouldn't recommend it. The build volume is very small for a project thats going to require so much setup and troubleshooting. You will get tons of gratification if you get it running, but the applications for a sailboat will be limited. I will say from an engineering perspective, he does an excellent job explaining what each part of a 3d printer does and why you should use certain hardware specification. Its definitely worth to watch to learn.

The Makos aren't in the water. they need a bit of work but I'll be selling the 17 and 25 when they are done. my sailboat is in the water but I've got to go over everything before we go out this year. bit if work ahead of me.

we are learning as well. you're welcome to join. many of our neighbors have sailboats so we're always on the lookout to drag one of them along. it's a 23' seafarer olympic. plenty of outdoor space.

we also have a spinnaker to play with. I need to go through the wiring and replace the winches. I've already got new winches but installing them is a bit of a pain.

she's docked in my backyard

Attachments

• 16167129031354008945378696068518.jpg
    16167129031354008945378696068518.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 4