• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone feel like talking me down off this ledge?

I'm bored with my 120.... already??!!

I went to Will at A.O. and he's got great tank prices. There is also Billy's tank but I want to put my next tank in a wall so I wouldn't need the stand. I'm seriously thinking about getting a larger tank and using all the same equipment from the 120 (sump, return pump, powerheads, etc.) My lighting fixture would be good for a while too. I would even use my 120 as a refugium/water volume. My skimmer kinda sucks but it is rated for 220gallons so I could use it for a while until i'm ready to get a kickass skimmer.

Can someone give me some bad news so I don't go out and buy a tank tomorrow?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Get the kick arse skimmer now, save up for the tank next. No point in having an SPS tank with an underpowered skimmer. If you're looking for a 210 you should plan to skim 500.

I'll tell you the only thing that talks me down from that same ledge regularly:

Commas in the electric bill... *shudder* ;D

Mike your funny ;D I'm in the same boat. I have a decent sized tank now with starfire glass 8) but I want to go bigger, bigger, bigger :D

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just think of all of the great frags you can buy on Saturday to begin stocking it! Oh wait, that wasn't the guidance you were looking for, was it ;D

DON'T DO IT MIKE! It's a viscous, never ending cycle. Next thing you know, the 210 won't be enough and you'll want a 500. And since you already have the 210, well hey, you might as well set that up somewhere else. And the 120 really is just too nice to use a sump. May as well set that up too! And before you know it, you've got the dreaded COMMA in your electric bill! Not to mention about 20K invested in equipment and livestock.

What an odd addiction this *hobby* is!

Phyl I think i'll take your advice and get the skimmer first then the tank.

It's going to happen some day. I would like to have a tank last more than a year. My 55 lasted only a few months. And i've only had my 120 up for a little over 4 months. I should wait ... I guess. :'(

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's all the club's fault!

I was totally happy with my 120g. I remember saying to Deb "How can anyone need anything bigger than this?! It's huge!!"

Then I found the club... "Hmm, let me make a remote sump...I think I'll add a fuge...since I'm doing all this let me get a 225g!"

Now I figure I am as happy as a clam...until I went to Billy's house!!

Mike

Phyl hit on a good point re the skimmer...If and When you upsize, you should get ALL of the RIGHT equipment UPFRONT!!! There
is no room for "It'll Do For Now" thinking which always leads to more work and very often, to a less than successful reef environment. This goes for everyone, but especially for those (like us) reefers who can't seem to NOT keep from adding more and more corals and fish.

Be patient and do it right. Given your experience so far, you can't miss.

Dom

Just go straight to the 400+ tanks.
When we first had the 120 it seemed huge. A few months later it didn't seem so big. Now there's a 225 and sometimes it doens't look that big either. If you have the space, get the biggest tank you can possibly fit so you only have to go through the fun of upgrading once.

NapoliNewJersey said:
Phyl I think i'll take your advice and get the skimmer first then the tank.

It's going to happen some day. I would like to have a tank last more than a year. My 55 lasted only a few months. And i've only had my 120 up for a little over 4 months. I should wait ... I guess. :'(

Get the skimmer and wait.

Come and look at my 75 nano and you will feel better about the 120. Also you will see corals that took longer than 4 months to get to the size and condition they are now.

Patience young Jedi! ;)

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Times like this I am so glad I have an old house. Couldn't fit a large tank if I wanted to, and the electric service can't take anymore expansion. So to just do well with what I have. Instead of bigger tank, I spend my money on better equipment and tank automation.

Mike Phyl is right , me in the other hand cant fit anymore corals or frags in my tank but if the great deal comes along for a bigger tank ,we know we have to jump on it thats what i did ;D and im still working on it,good luck in your decision let us know .

Thanks guys ... I'm going to take phyl's advice and go for the skimmer. Look out for a new thread in the near future asking for skimmer advice.

Ill tell you right now that the only way you can control your addiction is to do what I did! Open my own store!Work for a public aquarium,or if you can afford it buy your own reef. Its the only way you can constantly get new fish/corals without having the feeling that your running out of room! Take this time strengthen your knowledge and build a plan, part of the fun in this hobby is watching and learning how things respond to what youre doing via feeding,supplements,water chemistry,lighting etc.Even though they say bigger is better its not always easier, what you dont hear is when something goes wrong how much you can lose!Having the knowledge of what to do when that happens will save you a ton of money in the future!