• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone has Hydor Koralia in the back of the tank?

HI guys, I wanted to know if anyone is using Hydor Koralia in their tank. Which size? and if it worth the space that it takes up?

I am planing to buy the Hydor Koralia 1 or the nano one..

the koralia 1 doesnt really put out enough flow for a 24g. you probably want to look at tunze streams 6025 in particular. smaller, take up less space in nano tanks and also better build quality.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
maroon said:
the koralia 1 doesnt really put out enough flow for a 24g. you probably want to look at tunze streams 6025 in particular. smaller, take up less space in nano tanks and also better build quality.

I have 2 #1s in a 36" 70 gallon tank and it is quite a bit of flow for my softies and LPS.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have 2 Koralia #3 in a 90 tank. Love them.

I used to have 2 - #4 and it was to much, it was blowing the snot out of most of the LPS/Torch/Frogspawn.

I am actually going to buy a little hydor nano for my tank, just to add some flow at the bottom whilst I get the remaining crap outta my tank. However, I do use a hydor 1 for mixing new batches of water for my water changes. It adds the least amount of heat to the water and the power consumption of 4 watts is silly small.

Not sure what you are trying to do with the hydor, as size would be dependent on placement. small bottom as to not blow around the sand, maybe a 2 in the middle for that extra flow behind your rock structure pointed towards the area where your lockline is ( usually a dead area underneath ) Chances are I would not go over a 2, but then again a 3 might be really happening in the back of the tank coming out from behind the rocks pointing towards the front of the tank. :D

Good luck....

mynd said:
I am actually going to buy a little hydor nano for my tank, just to add some flow at the bottom whilst I get the remaining crap outta my tank. However, I do use a hydor 1 for mixing new batches of water for my water changes. It adds the least amount of heat to the water and the power consumption of 4 watts is silly small.

Not sure what you are trying to do with the hydor, as size would be dependent on placement. small bottom as to not blow around the sand, maybe a 2 in the middle for that extra flow behind your rock structure pointed towards the area where your lockline is ( usually a dead area underneath ) Chances are I would not go over a 2, but then again a 3 might be really happening in the back of the tank coming out from behind the rocks pointing towards the front of the tank. :D

Good luck....

Actually I see a dead spot in my tank where everything is just ends up and never moves, so I was thinking about getting the Hydro 1 so that the junk can get into the back of the tank into the filter. the dead spot is in behind the rocks, towards the back right.. so I was thinking of placing the hydro 1 on the left side facing east so it would blow on the dead spot.

Do you happen to have any other powerheads laying around you could try? Since the dead spot is in the rockwork you may not even want to use a Hydor pump but something maybe closer to a MaxiJet or a MiniJet with a more direct stream pointed directly at the dead spot.

Can you tell if you would be better off with a wider or smaller flow in that area?

Carlo

PS I've never used a #1 before so I'm not familiar with it. I've got the 2, 3 & 4s and to me the #2 pointed at rocks don't put out that much flow. I've got 2 #2s in my 24g Nano and I like the flow from these used out in the open. If only they were smaller however...

in the last 2 months or so i have had 2 # 3's (along with other powerheads) in my 75 sps tank. but i no longer have any in my tank... why???? well one day i had my hand in the watter and i touched the wire hanging my pendant and got shocked, now the only thing new to the tank was the #3 it was seriously in there for 3 mins. take it out, problem solved. now the other one it took me sometime to figure out why my corals were looking so crappy, yup the other #3 was shocking the tank. i would get a seio

nick said:
in the last 2 months or so i have had 2 # 3's (along with other powerheads) in my 75 sps tank. but i no longer have any in my tank... why???? well one day i had my hand in the watter and i touched the wire hanging my pendant and got shocked, now the only thing new to the tank was the #3 it was seriously in there for 3 mins. take it out, problem solved. now the other one it took me sometime to figure out why my corals were looking so crappy, yup the other #3 was shocking the tank. i would get a seio
Hey nick,

I seem to recall reading that some folks had problems with some Koralia's awhile back.
I believe they Emailed Hydor and in the end received replacement units.
HTH

yea but do i really want one in my tank now? ::) nope i don't. i have too much money in there to risk with a pump. and so far the odds are very bad o for 2? seems like a losing record to me.lol but its all good nothing died because of it thankfully. but do you want to risk your tanks inhabitants on a pump when you have other choices?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
nick said:
yea but do i really want one in my tank now? ::) nope i don't. i have too much money in there to risk with a pump. and so far the odds are very bad o for 2? seems like a losing record to me.lol but its all good nothing died because of it thankfully. but do you want to risk your tanks inhabitants on a pump when you have other choices?

It was a design flaw that has since been corrected. That is what the recall was about and the reason they were on backorder for so long.

I haven't heard of anybody that got replacements having any problems with them now.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There was a design flaw that was corrected by the recall. There were bad batches that have been identified. Unlikely you'd have that problem again (unless you ended up with yet another pump from a batch that should have been returned to the manufacturer). You should at the very least get your replacement pumps so that you can sell/trade them with others!

That's a good reason to always send the warranty cards in and put an email address when possible on the cards. You'll get notified this way of possible problems.

It only affected the #2 & #3 pumps if I remember correctly. 1 & 4 were fine.

This can actually happen with just about any pump or heater (remember my fried tank 7 months ago?). Lesson learned always put a ground probe in the tank & sump.

Carlo

BTW, you can check for "stray" electricity/current pretty easily. Next time you get a paper cut on your finger or hand put that in the tank. If you feel a buzz (nothing drastic) you got stray current and can find the equipment at fault.

i just received my koralia nano everything in my tank is more active even my blood shrimp is out making his presence known. there is a lot of water movement. i think for what you want to use it for its more than enough,but that is what i see in my tank. it is also my personal opinion. also the koralia nano is small you have to consider this is in my 8gal. bio-cube.

i have a koralia 2 in my 20 tall and stuff seems to get blown around everywhere. The rics are ok but the xenia is always toppled over no matter where i put it. i think one should be enough in your tank.