• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone have a Seahorse Tank?

Really interested in starting a tank :). Would like your experience in keeping them. Was thinking about the dwarfs in a 10g or 15g tank, Thanks. Sorry mods if it's in wrong forum, don't know where to put this under.

Did some searches, I don't think dwarfs are good for me to start with. Some are saying Erectus are the best to start with? I would need a bigger tank, maybe 30g? I will have live rocks(1-1/2lb per gal?) and sand as my substrate. Read somewhere that I don't need a skimmer is that true? Do I use a regular HOB filter to run carbon? I will have chaeto in the tank also. Must maintain ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level. Do I also test for anything else? TIA

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Vincent. Glad to hear you are interested in trying seahorses, they simply are marvelous creatures.

As you have found out, dwarfs are not a good beginner seahorse. Their special needs and live food requirements make them very time consuming. Erectus and reidi are both great beginner species and are readily available as captive bred specimens. Buying true Cb horses is definitely the way to go.

For a single pair I would recommend a minimum of a 29 gallon tank. Seahorses prefer height over length in a tank so taller is better than wider. A turnover ratio of 5-7x tank volume is preferred. You can use any type of filtration you prefer to gain the flow, use what you are most comfortable with. Temperature needs to be between 72-74F for tropical species and even cooler for sub-tropical and temperate species.

Tell me a little about the set up you have in mind and I will work with you to make it work for the seahorses.

Matt I forgot what was the min height for seahorses? my 55 is only 18" and I'm thinking a pair instead of just males since you say they are hard to raise anyway. thought it might be fun to watch them breed but if all the babies die does that pollute the tank and raise nitrates?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
18" will work fine. Yes the babies dying can cause water quality issues considering they can have a few hundred at a time and it is usually every 14-18 days once they do start breeding.

There are a few ways around this, get all males as they will still court with each other just as a pair would but without the hassles of babies. Or, get a pair and feed the babies to your other tanks. Yes I have done the latter when I got over run with babies, it is a natural act. What do you think happens in the wild?

ok, my significant other just shot it down :'(. Wanting me to wait cause I just started the reef tank recently, she wants to see how long everything's gonna live. Past couple years every fish we get fresh or marine always somehow die on us ???. Thanks for the help everyone, hopefully I can reopen this thread soon ;)