• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone have an Electrical Conduit Pipe Bender?

I'm looking to build my light hanger (tree) fixture and it cost 40 bucks for the bender to do so. I don't see the purpose of spending 40 bucks when i could just buy the current hang arms for 80 and no time spent on my end.

So if anyone is generous enough to come over and bend two pipes and get like 5 to 10 bucks to use it. I wouldn't mind ;)

also since the chain gang has a thread. a good idea might be to put out a thread where other users are looking to do something like this and others are interested or can assist.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Walk into any Home Depot and go to the "electic" area. They have half an isle filled with conduit stuff...boxes, pipe, fittings, etc. It glues up just like pvc water/waste pipe and is even a little cheaper. I think a ten foot lenght of 3/4 conduit is under 2 bucks.

Not sure what fixture you want to hold up, but if the wall/ceiling that the conduit is attacted to is stable, you shouldn't have a problem. I think all the boxes have four screw holes in them.

i'll be attaching it to the stand. in an apartment so less holes in the wall the better.

i'll have a take a look on my way home today. it's only down the block. (literally)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh! Now I’m starting to get a clearer picture. This stuff is pretty flexible. My guess now is that it isn’t going to work….but I say that having no idea of the span it will need to go and the size/weight of the fixture. Why not just use wood. Cheap, ridged, easy to work with and will hold a lot of weight. Three, eight foot by 3” fir strips will easily make two stand posts that would support any fixture I know of….And at a cost of something like $1.50 each. Now if you want a little nicer wood, buy white board. I think the thinnest is 4 inches (by ¾). Again I’m ballparking it, but I think a 16 foot length is about $16.00. You’ll find this stuff in with fascia, soffit and trim wood.

i thought of using wood but i'm trying to set up a sleek look to the tank. if i have no other choice and just can't build what i want then i'll go with wood and make the fixture use "sliders" so i can actually move it out the way and get into the tank.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK, so we are back to metal conduit. Is the bender one of the tools Home Depot rents? I actually have one, ten foot length of, I think, ¾ metal conduit that you can have to practice on. It has a slight bend-out to go around a ½ copper water line. Otherwise, it is a straight piece of conduit.

Not sure were you are…I think up north…but I’m in Sayreville.

One more fleeting thought…if you are buying the conduit at Home Depot, see if they could bend it for you. I’ve got to believe you just want a 90 degree bend in two conduit pipes. I know they do other type “modifications” for other stuff.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Having been an electrician for 40 years I have a few, but it is a long ride from your house to Long Island

Simple solution for you. Buy it at the depot and keep your reciept. You can return it no problem for i think at least 30 days. should be plenty of time for you to mess around ;) Depot is great for returns, being in construction im always returning stuff never a problem. Just say you didnt need it so your bringin it back, or whatever

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had another thought….if you want that industrial look and can’t get a bender….use black pipe. I think HD will cut and thread it for you. Then you only have to screw it together. If you want, paint it a pretty color. But first use a solvent to get that thin oil off the pipe. If HD won’t cut and thread, bring it over (if you’re in the area), and I’ll do it for you. Actually buying it in a ten foot length, with both ends already threaded, that is probably all you’ll need. After cutting, use one length for the upright and the shorter length for the horizontal. Just need to buy two 90o elbows to make two “L” shaped brackets.