• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone have Seahorses ?

I have one now in a 10 gallon and i wantto get him into a bigger tank asap

Any suggestions on how the new set up should be done?

I know I need to have a refuguim.

Thanks for you input

most people will tell you seahorses.org

i don't think many people on here besides one person house seahorses.

yeah , i've been reading up on them , been to that site

You guys are first hand experience and that is the best knowledge.

Hope I'm not the only oneof two who has seahorses on here

There has to be more of us :)

i think most of us avoid them as they are very fragile and care demanding, well speaking for myself.
could you post some pictures please?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
All the folks at seahorse.org are first hand too. They are probably the most passionate seahorse people you will find.

Tell us a bit more about this seahorse you have. What species is it, what does it eat, where did you get it from? Oh and pictures are always helpful and welcomed.

My seahorse actualy came from the inlet over here.

I was surprised with it when my friends husband came back from a fishing trip and scooped it up in his next with the fish.
Now that it was at my doorset I knew couldn't just throw it into my reef so I dripped and set up his own temporary tank. ( needs to be bigger )

I'm feeding it live ghost shimp every day
I have a holding tank for the ghost shrimp and add them through out the day for him

Looks Big , Has a big round Belly , most of the time dark , but turns lighter at night

I put live macro alge right into his tank so bugs are growing in there also

I'm getting him seahorse friends soon so I need to find out every thing I can.

I plan on learning how to make cultures and stuff for food : )

Need to learn Lots

panmanmatt are you out there ?

:)

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
He is a northern erectus seahorse. Try feeding him some frozen mysis shrimp, they usually take to them pretty easily. Once you get him to take the frozen shrimp feeding will be easier and cheaper.

Unless you plan to get more from local waters I am going to advise against adding any other seahorses with him. There are severe risks with mixing wild caught seahorses with captive bred ones. It usually ends in a death sentence for the captive ones. It is also not advisable to mix wild caughts of different species or from different regions. Reason being is that WC seahorses harbour pathogens and bacteria that the CB ones have little or no resistance to. Same with mixing different species and horses from different regions. Think of it as when the first settlers arrived here in this country. Disease ran rampant for both the settlers and natives as they were introduced to things they had never been exposed to and had no resistance to.

As for a larger set up, a simple 29 gallon tank with a HOB filter will suffice. LR and macro algaes are good for the horses to hitch onto. Keep the temperature cool, 72-74 degrees.

As for pictures, try hosting them on a site such as Photobucket and then just post the image tags here.

my seahorse seems so lonley

I have him now for two months + , dont see anything wrong with it

Couldn't I just do a dip treatment before I give him a family of friends ?

that way i make sure nothing is on him and

Start a whole new tank for every body to join

I need the others to teach him how to eat frozen food

Thanks for you input

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know folks that have wild caughts for well over a year and thought everything was fine. Added captive horses and within weeks they were left with just the WC's again. Doing a dip may remove any external parasites he has, but the main concern what bacteria and pathogens is he carrying internally. Horse can be asymptomatic for many years yet still harbor the bacteria. It is a huge gamble and like I said, 9 out of 10 times it ends in disaster.

If you are willing to risk the lives of the other horses then we can try to make it work. But be aware the odds are not in favor of a good outcome.

You don't need others to teach him how to eat frozen. I collect them from local waters all the time and have them trained to frozen foods in a weeks time usually. Just offer it to them first thing in the morning when they are the hungriest. You may need to hold off on a mid day feeding of live to make them hungry but the erectus usually take to frozen very, very easily.

I don't mean to sound mean or nasty, I am just laying the facts out there. I see what you are wanting to do on a regular basis and I also see the results of doing it. I have even tried it myself and it worked for about 6 months and then disaster struck.

Do you have or know where I can get a Male w/c I can get for her
to have company

They do need company , to be happy , Right ?

If I set up two seperate tanks and shared the refugium as their filter .. would that transfer the bacteria and pathogens or would the seahorses have to touch in the same tank to get sick ?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jenn said:
Do you have or know where I can get a  Male w/c I can get for her
to have company

They do need company , to be happy , Right ?

If I set up two seperate tanks and shared the refugium  as their filter .. would that transfer the bacteria and pathogens or would the seahorses have to touch in the same tank to get sick ?

I have kept singles for up to 6 months or more with no issues. Yes they like company, but it's not a must have for short term.

I don't know of any makes right now, but if you get in touch with me in a couple months I may be able to help you out.

They would need totally separate systems and equipment such as cleaning tools and nets. Anything they share has the potential of passing the bacteria along.  Sharing the same filtration is the same as putting them in the same tank.

Please keep me in mind if you hear of any w/c Males or Females.
that would be awesome.
I feel bad enough she was taken from her home and then to me ,
now I have to care for here the best way I can.
I need to get her company

What about a female instead of a male for company...
two females together for company,

Less of a mess with no babys to deal with

Whats your opinion.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Same sex tanks are perfectly fine. Are you sure of what sex your's is?

Once the waters warm up a bit I should have access to some. I will definitely keep you in mind.

your opinion

Is it easier to keep all the same sex so no babies are involved?

I'm probably going to upgrade from 10 and do a 20 gallon for my w/c female and then there will room for her and a friend in there.

I have on hold 5 more seahorse coming to me , think ora, sunburt? farm raised.

After talking to you will set them up in a new tank dedicated for them
and keep w/c separate , just in case

Think 5 horses in a 40 gallon will be big enough?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Same sex tanks are not harder than mixed sex tanks to keep. The big advantage, as you mentioned, is no babies.

OR or ORA? OR is in Hawaii and I really hope that isn't where you went to order them. If from your LFS, most likely ORA.

The 40 gallon should be fine as long as it's not a 40 breeder. Seahorses need a tank that is taller not so much longer. You are going to want a tank that is at least 20-24 inches tall.