• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone looking to build their own 6' long tank?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A while ago I had an AGA 135g tank that I was drilling holes in the side. Well, after drilling the holes but before I could get the tank in the house to set it up, I cracked the bottom glass panel while moving it on the concrete garage floor.

I recently just setup my 75g tank and needed to make room in the garage, so I took the entire 135g tank apart and want to get rid of whatever is left. I have no idea how to price this stuff so I'll except any reasonable offer from a NJRC member that can use it. I think the prices I'm giving are extremely low just because I want them gone. I prefer local pickup, but I might be willing to deliver if you are close enough.

Here is a list of what I have. I have added some pics and will add missing pics later tonight.

1. 2 x plastic frames/braces. Top and bottom are identical and interchangeable. Dimensions are 72" L x 18" W. They are brown with an oak style trim. The top faces are slightly scratched after my dismantling project, but otherwise in great shape. These can be used to build a new tank of any height you choose. Other than scratches on surfaces you probably won't see, they are in excellent shape, no cracks, and heavy/sturdy plastic. No idea how to price these, but I called the manufacturer (AGA) and they told me you can order them from any local pet store that sells their aquariums. The item number is 91120 if you care to investigate what they cost new. Pics:

Complete tank before I started drilling, so you can get a good view of what they look like -
150GalTank.jpg

Here's a pretty good shot of one after taking the tank apart. This is looking at the inside of the bottom frame.
IMG_0417.jpg

Here is a closeup of an inside corner. You can see the channel the glass fits into.
IMG_0419.jpg

2. I also have the 4 sheets of glass (all sides, no bottom) that are in good shape. Two short sides are 17" x 28" x 3/8" thick and the two long sides are 72" x 28" x 1/2" thick (I will verify the dimensions tonight, this is based off my memory.) I think one long piece is slightly chipped on the edge I stood it up on in the garage, but I don't think it will make a difference when it's in the slot of the brace and the joints are siliconed. One short side also has 3 holes drilled and ready for bulkheads, which I also have. If you buy the frames, you can have all the glass for an extra $10! I'll get more/better pics of the glass tonight, but for now, here is a shot of the hole pattern that I drilled in the one short side:
IMG_0257.jpg

3. I have one 3" bulkhead and two 2" bulkheads. They are heavy duty sch. 80 and although not exactly brand new, I only opened the package, installed them in the holes I drilled, then filled the tank to check for leaks. They sat overnight with no leaks present. After the bottom glass cracked, I removed them and stored them on a shelf. I would consider them brand new personally, but I don't have any packaging for them. Pretty sure they were Hayward brand and they were all slip connection (outside tank side) x FPT threaded (inside tank side). I never glued anything onto the slip side either. I paid around $70 for them new, but I'll let them all go for $30! Here's a link to an online store selling them if you want to compare pricing. And here you can see the actual bulkheads just before I tested the hole sizes.

IMG_0256.jpg

4. I will also have a few power-washed clean pieces of base rock left that I didn't use in my tank. This is not an actual pic of what I have left, but it's a general idea of the sizes I have left. They will probably be great for throwing in a fuge or sump. I'll post an actual pic of what I have left later tonight. $1 per pound, or if you buy some other stuff, I might just give you a couple to take with you. ;)
ExtraRock.jpg

5. I have a 40 gallon tank that is a bit beat-up looking to be honest. It holds water with no cracks or leaks, but is probably due for a new silicone job since it looks like some of it is ready to peal off. This would be great for curing rock or a sump for a larger tank, etc... but not something you would want as a display. I would let this go for about $15 just to get it out of my garage. :D Here are a couple pics from when I was curing my rock in it:
LiveRock064.jpg

LiveRock065.jpg

If I find more stuff while taking pics, I'll add them below also. Please PM me with any offers or interest.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, unfortunately I never got a chance to take extra pics last night so I'll have to do it tonight instead.

However I did remember one more thing I'm going to be selling. It's the stand for that 135g tank. It's made by AGA and came with the tank. I believe it's Pine with an "Oak" stain finish. Dimensions are 72"L x 19"W x 28"H. It has 3 doors on the front and the entire back is open except for two vertical braces. It's in great condition other than some salt stains on the side, but those can be cleaned up. I even replaced the bottom plywood when I first got it. I'd let it go for $25. Here are a couple pics of it:

Stand.jpg

Stand2.jpg