• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone running a Pod farm in separate container

Salted

NJRC Member
Lots of threads on this on Reef2reef. The one that interested me was very simple. Pods, salt water and a banana peel in a small tub, put it outside and done.

Rueric

NJRC Member
Lots of threads on this on Reef2reef. The one that interested me was very simple. Pods, salt water and a banana peel in a small tub, put it outside and done.
thats pretty awesome, did they use an air bubble to create some bit of water movement?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Intrigued and have been looking at a lot of the vids for the outdoor method.
I think some people are confused as many of the 'massive pod growth' vids actually appear to be mosquito larva.

I did it in a 2 gallon tea container, tisbe pods and I used phyto and fish food. It did very well changing a gallon of water a week. But I got lazy and it crashed. I think it's more worth getting some eBay pods and phyto and just breed them out for a few cycles, dose them all clean everything and start over once in a while.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have done it two ways. One with just some pods on a widow sill in a vase. Swap some water between the tank every few days with the tigger pods and this culture can go for a while. Eventually it does crash, but you can get a long time for one bottle of pods. We also now are running the air tube powered one with a half a soda bottle and that has also worked very well.

Little tips I noticed made a difference were... Very slow bubble rate. Like a bubble a second. They like the container a little dirty/mulmy. I use full reef salinity. Put a light on the container, even a dim one 24/7 is better than none. And they are very sensitive to ammonia , I accomplished this with 50 percent water changes weekly. And don't over harvest.