• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

anyone successfully *control* majanos?

I just picked up a couple of pieces of live rock from a local reefer breaking down a tank. There were a couple of hitchhikers that I at first thought were some type of zoa (yea! free stuff!) but now I'm 99% sure they are majanos (nothing is free).

I did some research and there seem to be two schools of thought. Many on Reef Central say destroy them all immediately. On wetwebmedia they seem to say if you don't overfeed and skim properly (control the nutrients in the tank) they shouldn't spread out of control, so keep them if you like them. Those might be big "if"s for me since I'm new to reefs and still trying to tune my system.

I'd rather not destroy things just as a precaution, and in fact I like they way they look especially since the tank is a bit bare, but I obviously don't want it to get out of control either.

Anyone successfully have "just a few" majanos in the tank without them becoming a plague, or should I just get them out now while there is only a cluster of 3-4?

I consider them pests and removed them just as I would Aiptasia. These little suckers multiply/propagate quickly and become a pain in quick time.

I know it's hard to want to remove stuff from the tank when it's looking bare but do yourself a favor now and save the aggravation later on when you will want to remove them but find it difficult because there are so many of them.

Carlo

Get rid of them now while it's easy. They are a pest and will take over your tank quickly stinging and killing the corals you will eventually want to keep. Use Joe's Juice, kalkwasser, any other method but get rid of them.

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
I believe I had a fairly decent infestation once upon a time. I believe they were manajos. They were smaller than aptaisia, and some of them would pulsate and swim at times. They were all over the overflow side walls and in many shadowy places (I guess they don't like MH light!).

Anyway, whatever these suckers were, I bought a couple of peppermint shrimp (I think I had a total of 3 or 4 in my 90). I never saw them working on any and never saw the shrimp, which seemed to only come out at night.

In a matter of a couple of weeks, there were none to be found, and my peppermints seemed to now be looking for food at feeding time, so I am assuming they ran out of their favorite treat.

By the way, the shrimp I got were from the Reeftopia group buy sometime last year.

I would try a few peppermints. It can't hurt.

Herb

I had one majano hitchiker couple of years ago and bunch of peppermint shrimps that would not touch it. I guess it is acquired taste ;)

Thanks everyone. Since I just added the rock to the top o' the pile and it is easy to remove, I think I'll take it out and remove the buggers in a bucket using one or two of the methods. Better get them now while they're only on one rock.

hmmm, now I'll have to find something to fill in that empty spot.

malulu

NJRC Member
listen to this:
my tank is up for about 2.5 years now, in the first 6 months, there was a time, i saw a *nice looking* Anemone on a rock in the LFS, so i buy that rock and bring it home, feed them well everyday - until some time later, some one saw them and ask me that why i have so many majanos! :eek: duh!!! (at that time, i only know/recognized the aptaisia is bad... did not heard of the majanos before!)

needless to say, i have them all over my tank, and they stink all other corals... i have 3 peppermint shrimps, it it either they can't keep up or they don't eat majanos, i end up with no choice by taking an EXTREME method!! I take down the tank (also because of an overflow leaking problem), and remove them from the rocks with a tweezer, one by one!! with some friends' help for 3 days, we must've removed closed to a 1000 of them!!

after i put back the rocks, they occasionally came back (could be due to overlook, or the baby grow up), i would see about 2 or 3 per weeks, for about 5 months afterward, now a days as soon as i spot them, i use tweezer to pick them out right away... or if it is unreachable, i will then use kalkwasser to inject into their mouth. when you use tweezer, first, you keep touching them, then they will shrink to a very small size, you then use the tweezer with one needle piled from their base, and one from their top to pick it out.

bottom line - KILL them all ASAP!
:mad:

malulu

NJRC Member
thetiler said:
I just put 1100.00 worth of rock outside because it was infested with Manjos :'(

Jason

you can do like i did... *TWEEZER*
that way, only the bad guy goes.. the good guys stay!

I had a similar problem. I took 6ft 1/2" ID hose. I attatched a filter sock on one end. I attatched a 12" piece of ridgid tubing 1/2" OD into the hose. I cut the end to a 45-60 degree angle with a razor to make it sharp. I started the syphon leaving on the return pump and scraped and sucked them into the filter sock. Hope this helps. This also works, if you put some filter floss in the sock to vaccum off the rocks.

RevClyburn said:
ok

who has pics of them?

edwin
Majano anemones? Just google them and you will find thousands of different pics, which will be helpful in distinguishing them from aptasias and button polyps.

malulu said:
RevClyburn said:
ok

who has pics of them?

edwin

you can SEE them in this link http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/bta/not/majano.html that mynd had posted earlier.

Interestingly, that seems to be quite uncharacteristic picture of Majanos. In no other picture I have seen on the web, nor the one specimen I had in my previous tank, did the Majano had so extended body. Since the whole anemone is very small, the body is usually wedged in some small hole in the rock and only the crown is visible.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The bodies on ours extend pretty far out like that. We have a few that come and go but have never really been a nuisance. I guess we're just lucky.

Once every 8 months or so I mix up some paste and nuke all of the ones I see but there's never more than half a dozen of them. I only nuke them because I know I should. Otherwise, they have proven to be relatively harmless and stay pretty well in check.

I looked at that picture before as I have some polpys that I am not sure off. But, that picture doesn't look like the one I have. Hence my reason for asking for another pic. I'll just post a note on RC and see what other pics I get. What ever pics I get, I'll also post them here for clarification.

rev

malulu

NJRC Member
RevClyburn,

post your picture(s) here for us all to see would be a faster way for this issue... ;)

Anyone have a rock with some on it they want to get rid of have the perfect tank for them and no corals in it to worry about. will pay shipping ! I'm serious!!

Thanks AL