• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone switch from MH to Solaris?

Has anyone switched (on the same tank) from MH to Solaris. If so, what do you think? I am using a comb of 250 watt DE 10,000k Ushio bulbs, and T5. I was wondering how it compares.

Thanks,
Ken

I only know one person that has a Solaris lighting system. He was delighted with it, and bought a second fixture for another tank.

My take on them is that the Solaris lighting system is a first generation aquarium lighting system, and extremely expensive. Yes, it does use less electricity, run cooler, and puts out good light, but the payback time on them is about 6 years compared to more conventional MH lighting.

I think LED lighting will be commonplace in years to come, especially if they can get the initial purchase price down to about the level of MHs.

You also have the problem of replacement parts. You would need to go back to the vendor if you need a part, and if they stop making the part you need, you are stuck. On the other hand, parts from MHs are generally available, from many vendors, and are generally standard.

i was running 2 250 mh with 4 110 vho's on a 90 reef. bought the solaris on the group buy saved big $$ with the buy. my old system seemed brighter then the solaris it takes a little getting used to took about 2 months for the sps to get used to the light the soft stuff had no problem.we have had it running since march everything is going good.

I just ordered one today and I will be selling moy coral life light when I get my new one.
Everyone I know that have one loves it. It will also cut down on the amount of heat that is put back in to my tank. YEAH baby.