• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone use those MJ MODS?

Im thinking of getting a couple of these for my 125g tank to go with the wavemaker on my reefkeeper.

Thinking of getting the Sure Flow 1600 with a Maxijet 900.

Anyone have any experience (good/bad) with these? if nto these, i would just get a pair of koralia 4's

Maroon,
I got 2 units and I will not go with MJ Mod. if I knew. I rather go with Koralia 4 instead.
Olivier

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've tried a few variations of maxi-jet mods and never had much luck with any of them. The sure flows worked the best, and gave a good amount of flow, but for me they were way too noisy. I'm a big fan of the Koralias. They seem to give about the same amount of flow with none of the noise.

One other drawback to the maxi-jet mods is that you really need to buy the magnet to attach it to your tank. This is because the mod changes the orientation of the outflow and the normal hangers no longer work.

The Maxi-jet mods don't work with wavemakers either. At least not with those that shut the pump down completely. Restart causes lots of noise and sometimes problems. It also wears out the impellor. I'm saving and holding out for a pair of Vortechs.

Vortechs are where it's at... I know some people don't like them cause they are only one directional ... and expensive, and one directional ... oh yeah and expensive.

But when you can do this ... I don't mind one bit.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Maroon,

I am running four of the sure flow 1600's, and I love them. They provide a tremendous amount of flow. They were noisy for the first couple of weeks, but once they broke in they were completely silent. I am using them with the magnet which does increase the cost of use, but also makes them easier to use.

I also am using them on a wavemaker as they are hooked up to my ACIII to go on and off randomly, i have been running them six months this way.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...&Product_Code=AF-SF1600&Category_Code=Maxijet

hey darren, did you use the mod on maxijet 1200's or 900's?

I think on a wavemaker the only requirement is that the controller has soft start, which i believe the RK2 has. So im just gonna buy one of these from the group buy and see how it goes.

I have a brand new of the MJ Mod that I am not using. If you want I can sell it to you for the same price on internet.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
maroon said:
hey darren, did you use the mod on maxijet 1200's or 900's?

I am using them on 4 of the 1200's. They also have great customer service. One of the impellers did break after three months, I emailed them and they sent me a new one that week, no ques asked.

If you want to mod a maxijet ... definitely go with the ones Darren(dnov99) recommends. I've tried others and when I seen his I thought they were great.

The only reason I didn't go ahead and get them was because of the amount of wattage each uses.

MikeNapoli said:
The only reason I didn't go ahead and get them was because of the amount of wattage each uses.

Thats why i want to use the maxijet 900. The 900 only uses 8.5 watts while the mj1200 uses like 28, so it would be better.