• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone with tank building skills?

john90009

NJRC Member
So I have a Elos tank which has a corner overflow built in. They have their own overflow box which if removed the bottom glass has a rectangle missing (where the overflow box was, however the tank walls are all complete. So the female plastic overflow fittings which are all one piece and can not be removed unless you replace the whole overflow, has a crack going up it.(which i tried contacting them to see if i can get my hands on one however no luck.) i was wondering has any suggestions, what I was thinking is get a whole sheet of new glass with holes drilled and rest the whole tank on top of that new glass. Obviously put tons of sealant between the two pieces of glass. Anyone have any suggestions?

john90009

NJRC Member
The fitting coming down on the left is screwed up into the overflow, and the overflow on the threads itself has the crack. Unfortunatlythe piece that we screwed up there is in there pritty tight that I would need my work channel locks to get back out but it's hard getting a picture of the crack since its up the tube.

Attachments

• 15274626740901757767331.jpg
    15274626740901757767331.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 1527462751731907607067.jpg
    1527462751731907607067.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Could you unscrew that piece put some silicone around it and then screw it back in. That should stop the leak in the overflow box threads.

john90009

NJRC Member
I tried Teflon tape, what silicon would you suggest, would the silicone stick or make the piece impossible to screw back out once it dries.

I couldn't see the crack but I am not one to use if the crack isn't in a stable location tank pressures could be an issue over time. That glass is really thick u need to make sure if u go to a glass company to be specific on the dimensions and u could get them to drill the holes locations. Have u changed a panel be for it is tedious and will take about a week for drying times and absolute certainty in it being cured