• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Apex vs. Hydros

I used to be a fan of Neptune Systems Apex but lately a lot of issues. I have started hearing about CoralVue Hydros and wanted to see if anyone has experience and thoughts on it?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have both and right now hydros is way better.
The only thing that is keeping me on the apex eco system is the trident.
Everything else is better on hydros.

radiata

NJRC Member
I've had an Apex for years. I think I'm up to 20 or more distinct modules. I added a Hydros 2 years ago because I wanted to be able to run both Gyres and Octo Plus 4s without the need for (costly) controllers or bricks. (And, I must admit, I wanted something new to play with.) I've stopped expanding, so I won't be expanding with either system.

That said, I feel it is only fair to point out that Hydros has had a definite design advantage because they've had the experience of watching Apex make mistakes in both the design and the marketing categories. I believe Apex had that same advantage over Digital Aquatics, and look where DA is today - you just see an occasional user trying to unload pieces of it to unsuspecting controller seekers. (But of course that doesn't include redfishbluefish!)

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So I will also say this. I have two controllers at the moment. But I still have my
*heaters controlled by inkbird $40 Inkbird controllers does a better job at keeping the tank at a perfect temp.
*salinity when first got my apex $900 this was the most important reason. I was never able to get the salinity to work. I didnt trust it. So I use HANNA salinity checker $50 and it works i back it up with a $40 refractor, I have not used the hydro salinity.
* ATO I purchased the apex ATO and it fail all the time. The original apex was so bad they replaces it with ATO 2. instead I used tunze with no problems
* dosing pumps I had 3 different dos pumps on my system $260 each
they all had problem. They would fail all the time. I replace them with Kamore dosing pumps no more problems and no more noise.
$100
* auto feeder the apex auto feeder $99 is horrible. I had 3 on my system and I replace them with the eheim auto feeder for $30
*wav pumps $160 they all fail. HydroS wave engine is a better product You can use your own pumps.
trident *$800 to test alk/mag/cal in my system the mag doesn’t really change.
calcium is also mostly in range. My $50 HANNA alk tester is my trusted tester

snowxcross

NJRC Member
I have both and like them equally. The apex has an advantage because of the Trident. I like using different tech, so I run them on separate systems. The power brick on the hydros is flakey unless you run a mesh wifi network.

I bought the apex jr and a trident at the same time. Stopped working 1 month later. Contacted Neptune and they wanted me to give them a deposit to send me a new one. It's been sitting in the storage since