• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Apex?

I think I'm at a point where I want to pull the trigger and get into Neptune Apex, while I would only be getting the basics, My goal is the Trident. I was wondering what is the general consensus on Apex vs Apex El. As I understand it you are able to upgrade the EL fully with separate modules right? Also, do they ever go on sale ? Or do you guys know of any place where they might be sold a little cheaper?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have the full apex. I was never able to get the salinity probe to work correctly.
I use the orp but only as guide.
The Apex el is a good choice if you don’t need those two probes.

if you really want to save money pick one up used.

I am sure with the merger of brs and Neptune they will release a cheaper
$300 model soon.

I have the full apex. I was never able to get the salinity probe to work correctly.
I use the orp but only as guide.
The Apex el is a good choice if you don’t need those two probes.

if you really want to save money pick one up used.

I am sure with the merger of brs and Neptune they will release a cheaper
$300 model soon.
Still waiting for the punch line of your joke:

I am sure with the merger of brs and Neptune they will release a cheaper $300 model soon.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
No it will happen. Now that they are owned by
a venture capital company. They will maximize production and sales.
They will be like apple they will have a 1k phone and they also have
A $300 phone running the same software. This will expand who can have access.
The way Neptune was being run before was horrible.
All the products will be able to run trident.

Shame I am probably going to by a Hydros before this cheaper version comes out. Oh well. I have been looking at the Apex versions and just cant see myself paying that much simply because I want a PH controller and tracker.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Shame I am probably going to by a Hydros before this cheaper version comes out. Oh well. I have been looking at the Apex versions and just cant see myself paying that much simply because I want a PH controller and tracker.
Any controller is better than no controller. I personally don’t like the hydros.
I felt that their software is clunky. I believe fusion is a better product and easier to use.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I can't speak high enough of Apex. I have had a Jr. a classic and an EL now.

I run 2 tanks and have two separate Apex systems. I don't think the full Apex is necessary as Amado mentioned the salinity probe is finicky plus you can addon the modules if you really wanted.

I currently don't live in the house that my tanks have been setup at but I am preparing to move them soon and my parents are watching after them. I constantly monitor the tanks and let my parents know when they need to add more water, when they need to do this or that because of the Apex.

They're entirely worth the money, I can't speak about Trident yet but hopefully soon.

I can't speak high enough of Apex. I have had a Jr. a classic and an EL now.

I run 2 tanks and have two separate Apex systems. I don't think the full Apex is necessary as Amado mentioned the salinity probe is finicky plus you can addon the modules if you really wanted.

I currently don't live in the house that my tanks have been setup at but I am preparing to move them soon and my parents are watching after them. I constantly monitor the tanks and let my parents know when they need to add more water, when they need to do this or that because of the Apex.

They're entirely worth the money, I can't speak about Trident yet but hopefully soon.
Ya, the more I read about it the more I want it.

Ya, I'm pulling towards the EL, it's a little more feasible to me, and as long as I can upgrade in the future if the need arises, I think that's what I'll go with. I guess I will follow your advise and look for a used one first.

Apex salinity probe can be a little finicky, but I've always been able to get it to work after shaking out any bubbles that might've gotten caught in there. So when it starts reading weird, I know that's what I have to do to fix it.

I'm not sure about a cheap Apex solution coming out soon. If you check the BRS website, you'll notice that Neptune and Ecotech equipment prices all went up as of January 1st. The full Apex that was $800 is now $880. Trident went from $600 to $640. Even the reagents went up - $45 for one month and $105 for 3 months now. If that's the case, it would be surprising to come up with a cheap solution just to undercut themselves. If anything, they're using the fact that BRS, Neptune, and Ecotech are now together to squeeze everyone.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Apex salinity probe can be a little finicky, but I've always been able to get it to work after shaking out any bubbles that might've gotten caught in there. So when it starts reading weird, I know that's what I have to do to fix it.

I'm not sure about a cheap Apex solution coming out soon. If you check the BRS website, you'll notice that Neptune and Ecotech equipment prices all went up as of January 1st. The full Apex that was $800 is now $880. Trident went from $600 to $640. Even the reagents went up - $45 for one month and $105 for 3 months now. If that's the case, it would be surprising to come up with a cheap solution just to undercut themselves. If anything, they're using the fact that BRS, Neptune, and Ecotech are now together to squeeze everyone.
No they will make a cheaper apex unit you will see. The prices of everything from baby diapers to cars everything is more. You will see synergy between these companie.
ecotech wave maker will work with the apex wirelessly. They will combine patents to make better solutions for the DOS And other products.

Personally I was I the same boat you were in when I was contemplating the Apex. I ended up choosing the El for the main reason I don’t monitor orp and my salinity is stable and shouldn’t change much. I do periodically check with the Hanna salinity pen but it wasn’t worth the extra money for that. There are countless negative reviews about the salinity probe. Now I’m not saying they don’t work but the El was the right choice. The 2 probes are the only difference between the 2. If you do plan on adding a salinity probe in the future, good luck. They are impossible to find, not sure why. You will not regret the El. As far as any other controller I have no clue how good they are but I would not run my larger tank without the Apex it has made everything so much easier. Good luck with whatever you choose you will not look back once you buy.

No they will make a cheaper apex unit you will see. The prices of everything from baby diapers to cars everything is more. You will see synergy between these companie.
ecotech wave maker will work with the apex wirelessly. They will combine patents to make better solutions for the DOS And other products.
I think I read on another forum Dr Randy Holmes Farley runs his salinity probe upside down to prevent the bubble issue that affects the readings.

I think I read on another forum Dr Randy Holmes Farley runs his salinity probe upside down to prevent the bubble issue that affects the readings.