• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aptasia killin day

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Life is finally calming a bit and I may actually have an afternoon off. Hi all. :)
Time to dive into the neglected tank, which, out of the blue, has been growing aptasia, which are now huge.
Going to use Aptasia-X, though some are large enough I may need a baseball bat, followed by an 8g (of 30g) water change.
Going to just pull the rock in the 3rd pic.
A fun afternoon indeed.
Experienced advice welcome.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Kill the big ones with aptasia x or something similar, use peppermint shrimp to eat the little ones.
Hi Dave. Plan. Going to pick up 8-10 peppermints on way home today.

This confused me…

The “true” peppermint shrimp is the top choice of aquarists for eating aiptasia anemones, but the trick with this one is making sure you don’t overload it. You want to make sure the shrimp is fully cooked before you add it to the aquarium. If you overcook it, you’ll end up with a mushy shrimp that won’t be able to hold its shape in the tank.

Fortunately the article clarified it by having a picture of what appears to be a mojito with lime and mint.

Save your money. Turn off all flow and use kalk paste. Be careful that the kalk paste doesn't anvalanche off a rock and land on a gold torch. Ask me how I know

Bot587

NJRC Member
The tank in question is 20-30 g. I wouldn’t hit all the news at once if you go kalk past route. I have f aiptasia if you want it mark

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Got caught up due to work and wasn't able to start over the weekend.
So I went out and at least dropped in 5 peppermints.
I got some Apt-X delivered today and hoping to have some time tomorrow to start working on the big stuff.
I may document this hunt as these are things are huge.
I tried to use the bat this weekend to beat one or two back but one of them wrestled it out of my hands.
Damn near knocked me unconscious on the retaliation.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Got caught up due to work and wasn't able to start over the weekend.
So I went out and at least dropped in 5 peppermints.
I got some Apt-X delivered today and hoping to have some time tomorrow to start working on the big stuff.
I may document this hunt as these are things are huge.
I tried to use the bat this weekend to beat one or two back but one of them wrestled it out of my hands.
Damn near knocked me unconscious on the retaliation.
At least it didn't get one of your kids.