• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aptasia on zoas

Dealing with aptasia on this zoa rock. What's the best way to get them off? I don't mind killing the zoa's around it, just scared that in doing so, they'll release palytoxin and hurt me or the tank. Any tips on how best to approach this?

Attachments

• 20211128_230009.jpg
    20211128_230009.jpg
    787.8 KB · Views: 10
There is an electric machine that goes right into the mouth without killing the Zoanthids around
Aptasia zapper I believe you are talking about or electrolysis. I don't think you can get the zapper anymore but you can make your own.

I do use a filefish sparingly but depending it may munch on the zoas as well.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
The zapper will make them spread out even more. I have one if you want to try it out. I'd use the lemon juice in a syringe like dyiguy said above.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
It didn't work to good. Unless you want them all over the tank. Don't use one.

I would say that matted filefish could get rid of them naturally. I also recommend aiptasia eating nudibranchs. it is the only thing they eat so they will definitely keep things in check! One thing to note though, the filefish might eat the nudibranch so if you're going to do both, do it with caution! I have seen some aiptasia eating nudibranch at Absolutely Fish in Clifton for a pretty good deal at the moment.