• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aptasia

So sandy kicked my tanks ***. I was away for a week when it and the power outage with the temp drop killed everything but a clam yellow tang and a wrasse. So today I say lets gets this thing going again. I must have a least 75 aptasia maybe more what's the best way to get rid of these. I have some dendro that also survived.

If you can it might be able to pull the rock and bleach it. Clean it and start over. Not sure if that's an option though.

I used aptasia x for the big ones and 5 peppermint shrimp to eat all the babys?
were are you located I have some left if you want to try it..

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
you can try berghia nudibranches as well, sounds like you have a ton of food for them.

I use a product called Joe's Juice. You put it in a plastic syringe and inject it right into the mouth. Or peppermints but they have to be hungry to go after the anemones as they will eat w/e you put in the tank food wise, which means you cant feed as much.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I use a product called Joe's Juice. You put it in a plastic syringe and inject it right into the mouth. Or peppermints but they have to be hungry to go after the anemones as they will eat w/e you put in the tank food wise, which means you cant feed as much.

You're better off using Aptasia-X then Joe's Juice. Joe Juice doesnt kill anything, just makes more of them.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Another good way of getting rid of them is to agitate the aptasia until it closes up into the rock and put a dab of superglue gel over where it went into. I have done this for the occasional aptasia in the past and its worked great.

I've been using Aiptasia X and the little suckers keep coming back...I've heard of people using boiling water. Anyone do this?

Although I've only ever had a few and caught them when they were small, I took advice of something online and used lemon juice in a syringe injected directly into them and that worked for me!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Although I've only ever had a few and caught them when they were small, I took advice of something online and used lemon juice in a syringe injected directly into them and that worked for me!

This also works well. Just be careful if you have a lot if them. Don't do all of them at one time, the lemon juice can effect your pH

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've heard of people using boiling water. Anyone do this?

I ended up using boiling RO/DI water because I had quite a few in a small tank (JBJ 28) and was concerned that any chemical means (including lemon juice), would poison the tank.

I first started using my turkey baster, but the heat made that cheap dollar store baster crack its entire length. I then went to a ten milliliter syringe. I should point out that there are virtually no corals in the tank, only two minimaxi anemones. You do need to be careful around corals and whatever.

It worked pretty well so far. A couple of the aptasia came back and I had to hit them a second, or maybe third time. They were in pretty deep into the rocks and well protected. But it’s been a couple weeks since I’ve seen one, so I think I’ve got them all.

My aptasia dissappeared , and I had about 5 really big (3-4 inches with stretched tentacles), and some small ones.
I was on vacation for a week. And apparently my tank sitter only visited once (though I've asked for daily visits), as a result - derasa clam is eaten, but also , apparently , all aptasia. Don't see them anywhere. All corals (except pink and red birdsnest) are fine. HA is also fine.
I wander what could've eaten the aptasia. I have rabbit fish, yellow hippo lavender tangs, melanarus and kelp wrasses, some green chromis, antheas, regal angel.

My aptasia dissappeared , and I had about 5 really big (3-4 inches with stretched tentacles), and some small ones.
I was on vacation for a week. And apparently my tank sitter only visited once (though I've asked for daily visits), as a result - derasa clam is eaten, but also , apparently , all aptasia. Don't see them anywhere. All corals (except pink and red birdsnest) are fine. HA is also fine.
I wander what could've eaten the aptasia. I have rabbit fish, yellow hippo lavender tangs, melanarus and kelp wrasses, some green chromis, antheas, regal angel.

Any peppermint shrimp?

Now that you've mentioned it, there WAS a cleaner shrimp. Not anymore. I suspect that kelp wrasse. But she is so cute and unusual.
I did not have peppies.

The aptasia-x killed them all and they have not been back since. I did pick up a file fish to monitor and not one aptasia has returned.