• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aqua Medic Plankton reactor

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Are you not going with the ((FORDTECH)) DIY version from Reef2Reef? I've seen you're comments and I'm interested in doing this as well.

radiata

NJRC Member
While searching for the perfect soda bottle, I remembered I had one of these Aqua Medic reactors that I picked up used many years ago. Looking at it again, it occurred to me that it was just a tall skinny bottle. It would need similar fixings to those needed by the ((FORDTECH)) design. The air pump needed might be a little stronger because of the water depth. They were once available in the USA as two models - one without a light and one with a fluorescent light that clipped onto the unit's main tube. As far as I can tell the units are still available in Europe. The above BRS link has the user manual if you're interested.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I have a kalk reactor that I’m not using at the moment. I figure if I can wrap an led light strip around it and it already has a port to dose the fresh saltwater and the 1/2” port to gravity feed. Then all I need to put in is put in the air stone and it’s all set. I have a DOS head no being used currently so I’m thinking it may work.

radiata

NJRC Member
I have a kalk reactor that I’m not using at the moment. I figure if I can wrap a led light strip around it and it already has a port to dose the fresh saltwater and the 1/2” port to gravity feed. Then all I need to put in is put in the air stone and it’s all set. I have a DOS head no being used currently so I’m thinking it may work.
Your kalk reactor is probably flat bottomed. I'm inclined to believe that the funnel shaped bottoms (or 2L soda pop round bottoms) of are preferable because gunk shouldn't collect in either. That said, when searching for Aqua Medic Plankton reactors this past weekend, I actually came across a Version 2 of their plankton reactor on some European site. And it sure looked flat bottomed to me! Suggest you track it down and see if a User Manual is available on some seller's site. The manual might steer you in the right design direction for what you're looking to do.