• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

AquaController 3 questions

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm hoping to get an AC3 in the group buy. I want to make sure I understand what I need to get. I have a home network so I plan on using the Ethernet option. So that means I don't need the serial cable or the isolator. AquaNotes is also optional since the controller has it's own built in webserver.

Is this correct thus far?

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I ran an Ethernet cable from my linksys right to the port on the AC3. I have a box of wire and the tool if you want to borrow it.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Ed. I have a box of wire and the tool as well. Just need some ends. Do you use the AquaNotes?

Aquanotes is definitely easier to use when getting the unit setup or when you want to make bulk changes to the AC.

If in doubt don't buy the software and try the "lite" version. They are the same software. You can always activate the "pro version" with Curt over the phone or via email for $79.

Carlo

BTW, you can install and use the software on any number of computers but are only allowed to use it from one computer at a time (1 concurrent license).

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How does the ACIII connect to the DC8 or DC4 to control the outlets?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It connects with a standard phone line. You can daisy chain additional components together with multiple phone lines.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So say my controller was in the basement with all the gear (when it gets there). I would use a DC8 in the basement connected to the controller with a phone line. Then I could run a phone line from the DC8 to a DC4HD controlling my display lights some 20' away. All the while, I will be able to program/control the controller, which will be connected to my home network via Cat5, at any computer connected to the network whether or not AquaNotes (reg or Lite) is available. Do I have that right?
Thanks.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Almost. You would need either program to view it on your PC. It can be programed from the controller itself. I don't think there is much difference from the reg. ver. and the light except that you can view your stats from another PC on line with the reg. ver.

RichT, yes you are correct in your assumptions. BTW, I've ran the phone line over 100 feet and it still works. I've also ran extension cords 50 feet with no problems from the CD4's and 8s.

I don't know if you decided to get the full version of the software or not but I thought I'd mention something. Get the full version of the software. :) I had forgotten how nice it was over the lite version.

The built in web server on the unit is very basic with only "core" functionality. The full version is much more functional and is what you see on the demo on neptunesys.com. To me the "real" value of the full version is in the highly upgraded webserver that runs on your PC.

If you plan on running any low watt equipment like a dosing pump you will have trouble doing this on the DC8 as it will turn on but not off. For devices with these problems you will either want to go X10, DC4, DC4HD or use a little trick with the DC8 for that device. On a DC8 plug an extension cord into the DC8 with your equipment at the other end. Also plug in a device that uses more wattage like a pump in the sump or a small light fixture (anything with more watt usuage).

I had this annoying problem (low wattage dosing pumps) until Curt confirmed the problem. Now I have small "usage lights" lights attached in line which solve the problem and give an indication that my dosing pumps are on.

Another time saver when doing your setup. Look at all the plugs you will be connecting. Use plugs 1-4 on the DC8 for normal type cords and save 5-8 for the cords with boxes on them.

When you guys get ready or get stuck in the programming just give a shout. I've used them for a while now and I'm quite good at getting them to do many things beyond the basics and have learned many little tricks to get around some annoying problems. For any programmers out there you'll find it pretty easy but limiting at the same time as it's only an "if then" (not if then else) scripting language with a max limit on the number of scripting lines you can use.

Carlo

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK....I guess I'm dense but I need to ask this question again/another way.

Will the full function and features of the Aqua-Notes software be available if connected to the controller via the Ethernet port connection or will I need a serial cable and isolator?

The screen shots of the software is what's confusing me.

If you have ethernet you do not need anything serial cable related since you don't need it and will use the ethernet port.

There is a built in webserver on the 3 and Pro that you can access via ethernet or telnet. This is a minimal "web server" built into the unit which allows you to see the status of the tank. It also allows you to configure parameters (programs) and to manually turn things on or off. There is also a datalog feature and simple graphing built in.

If you upgrade the AquaNotes software to the full version you also have the ability to run IIS or PWD on a computer and run an ASP version of the software. This has greater features then the built in web server. This is the version you see on the neptunesys.com site. I'm assuming this is the screen shot you were talking about.

If you want a "set it and forget it" type piece of equipment you don't need the full version. If you plan on "viewing graphs, logs" or like to tinker or want features like email or pager alarms you will want the full version of the software.

I got semi sidetracked on that so sorry, but it "kinda" went along with the serial/ethernet part of your question.

Keep asking the questions until it's clear.

Carlo

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think I got it now Carlo...Thanks
I was actually looking at screen shots of AquaNotes Full and it looked like everything was being setup via serial. I asked the same question on RC Neptune's forum and got the same answer. Just wanted to be sure before driving BLange crazy on the PA group buy order.

thanks again

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Carlo is the man with these things. He came over and hooked mine up better than I could have ever done. Thanks big time man I owe you one.